Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1940 (42) luger that is in good condition but I would like to make it look better. First of all it's a shooter not a collector. My father brought it back from WW2 and it has a lot of sentimental value to me. I treat it with great respect. The surface is a little pitted from being in the holster for 58 years. I want to have re blue but is it possible to sand and somehow fill the pit marks before it gets dipped? Any info you can pass on about care, maintenance, refinishing and so on will be very welcome. I know about Mr. Still's book but with my work situation that will have to wait. I am looking very forward to getting his book some day!

·
Administrator
15,091 Posts
Rich, and not to downplay Ted's work, as it is top-notch. But in the luger collecting field, "making it look better" will destroy any collector value it may have. Which may or may not matter to you?

A 1940 / 42 goes for around $700-$900, all depending on condition, while a "shooter" grade is worth around $400-$500.

A restore of a gun will cost around $300-$450, so...

On the other hand, if you simply want to cherish it and love it for its looks, a Thor restoration is hard to beat.

Ed

·
Administrator
15,091 Posts
Rich, and not to downplay Ted's work, as it is top-notch. But in the luger collecting field, "making it look better" will destroy any collector value it may have. Which may or may not matter to you?

A 1940 / 42 goes for around $700-$900, all depending on condition, while a "shooter" grade is worth around $400-$500.

A restore of a gun will cost around $300-$450, so...

On the other hand, if you simply want to cherish it and love it for its looks, a Thor restoration is hard to beat.

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.