Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted thoughts on the increase in price of this. I understand everyone wants to make money, but charging thousands extra and literally taking any chance of a beginner collector like me being able to afford it when I could of if it wasn't bought to just be resold kinda sucks. If this is how gun collecting really is, I don't think I'll ever be able to get into it. Just wanted opinions I guess before moving on to a new focus.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
Look around. These pistols can be obtained for considerably less.

A pristine example of a relatively rare pistol would sell for more, but also it's been a seller's marketplace lately.

When I see a dealer buy something from another dealer and offer it at double the price, it makes me wonder what I'm missing...

That said, several niche firearms have recently increased considerably in value.

·
Platinum Bullet Member 2012
883 Posts
The pistol in question is a very early example in excellentt condition. Its scarcity makes it more desireable. Later production pistols are more reasonably priced. I don't know what Scotty was smoking when he listed this CZ 27 for $4000 but you never know what people miight pay. He knows his customers. I see it as more of a $2000 gun at best.

·
Silver Bullet Member
801 Posts
As noted, this is a rare pre-Nazi occupation CZ27. That said, I wouldn't expect to see it listed for $4,000. IMO, the LC price of $1,595 is the high end of the expected price range. One of the same ilk (15222), in nice, but perhaps not as nice of condition, sold on GunBroker recently for $1,025.

1939 DATED CZECH CZ-27 PISTOL-POLICE OR COMMERCIAL-EARLY GUN-LOW SERIAL - Curios & Relics at GunBroker.com : 900423268 .

Be patient, really learn the details of the guns and variations that interest you, and go on the hunt. You will be rewarded. The hunt and your ultimate success are part of the fun of collecting. Regards,

·
Registered
333 Posts
You picked examples of two of the highest price dealers on the net. As said before, look around and you'll do better.

I just picked this mint late was phosphate finish one this weekend for $800.00.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for the advice. I wasn't aware of the different versions of this gun (after researching on this forum I understand that now) my parents are from Czech and would like to get into WWII Czech guns and thought Bohmomiche? Butchered the spelling I'm sure, was a completely different gun entirely and I wanted a true "Ceska" example. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

"I just picked this mint late was phosphate finish one this weekend for $800.00

Apples and Oranges. The late war phosphate is not the same as OP gun's in question. Check the difference in details.

·
Silver Bullet Member
801 Posts
Apples and Oranges indeed, +1 with moosedog. This is a great example highlighting the value in education and knowledge. There are numerous variations of CZ27s. Some plentiful and less costly, some less common and more expensive. And like most guns, there are variations that are very expensive. It all depends on what you want, your budget, and your collecting goals. Here is a CZ27 overview I wrote for our website.

If you want to dig deeper, one of the better publications is "Know Your Czech Pistols, Berger.

Trigger Book Font Air gun Rectangle

·
Registered
333 Posts
I wasn't comparing the two types. I was merely stating that you can buy a CZ27 that won't break the bank if your willing to look around.

·
883 Posts
To add to my earlier post, the pistol OP inquired about has a WaA76 acceptance stamp with a ATP stamp on the barrel. I have not seen a "Nazi" accepted CZ27 with this early a serial number. It is a rare bird indeed.

·
883 Posts
I wasn't comparing the two types. I was merely stating that you can buy a CZ27 that won't break the bank if your willing to look around.
I understood your point.

The CZs didn't use to have much collector interest but that has changed over the last few years.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
On background, learn more about master gunsmith Josef Nickl who did the basic design of these CZ pocket pistols...

Here's a symposium I spoke at recently about Nickl and Mauser:

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
The CZ-27 in the original post is a rare variation in very good condition. This is a prefect example of perspective. The first dealer's price may of been on the high side of fair. The second dealer's greed made him think he could profit because of his unfamiliarity with the variation. He had "never seen one". This dealer has always been very high on price and I have first hand knowledge of his changing out parts to enhance value/price. There is a great lesson here with the integrity of dealers. New collectors should avoid high dollar items until they are very familiar with variations and condition originally and value. It is also good to be familiar with dealer reputation. Regards,

·
Registered
184 Posts
Apples and Oranges indeed, +1 with moosedog. This is a great example highlighting the value in education and knowledge. There are numerous variations of CZ27s. Some plentiful and less costly, some less common and more expensive. And like most guns, there are variations that are very expensive. It all depends on what you want, your budget, and your collecting goals. Here is a CZ27 overview I wrote for our website.

If you want to dig deeper, one of the better publications is "Know Your Czech Pistols, Berger.

View attachment 649168
I somehow ended up with two copies of that book. P.m. me if you are interested in it.

JGW

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, these early 7,65 Ceska marked CZ-27s are a thing of great beauty in both fit and (high polish) finish.

I have seen a handful of the early DR (Deutsche Reichsbahn/German Railway) marked guns over the years and the workmanship just exudes pride in manufacturing.

I believe that the Ceska first German army procured high polish WaA76 Waffen marked on the trigger guards are even more elusive and of course just as beautiful. (Mr. Still describes and shows one in his Axis Pistols book.)

An old gun collector friend of mine always told me, "You didn't pay too much, you bought it too soon!" In other words, prices are always going up. For WWI and WWII small arms this is seemingly true, especially in recent years, and accelerated even more in the last year or so.

Regarding the original posters example, it is both discouraging to see the quick flip at 4k but it is also encouraging that if one had knowledge, the bills and the necessary quickness, it could have been had for 1.6k.

So we have to study up, save up and be ready to act when such rare and beautiful objects such as this one present themselves.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
The gun in question is a scarcer early one, in excellent condition, and with the very early slanted slide serrations (this style goes to vertical serrations shortly after this particular gun).
The price is on the high side.

The second pistol offered is at a ridiculous price point.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts