Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Pete,

I saw this Luger today on Simpson's site and studied the Stoeger markings. First of all, this is a 5 digit DWM commercial which is normally dated around 1919/21. Stoeger started the imports of Lugers in 1921 and indeed; some Stoeger marked pistols having a 5 digit SN have been reported.
This pistol has also the third line on the frame with the confirmation that Stoeger had Patented the brand name 'Luger'. This was done only in 1929 - 1930:

'Trademark No.290,722 "LUGER", filed Oct. 05, 1929 by A. F. Stoeger, Inc., New York, N. Y. for the goods "Shotguns, Pistols, Revolvers, Rifles and Parts thereof". Published in the Official Gazette on February 11, 1930, page 260'.

The alignment and punctuation of the two lines on the right receiver seem to be correct for a Stoeger Luger issued after 1928. The word 'GENUINE' left on the third line (right frame rail) is perfecty aligned too; this is not the case for the 3 lined Stoegers SN's 400v - 524v; if present on these pistols it is slighty smaller and not exactly in line with the remaining text.

Therefore I suspect that this pistol was assembled from DWM parts by Mauser; using a receiver that had the two lines stamped by DWM, adding a 5 digit frame that Mauser stamped with the third line INCLUDING the word genuine (the first one that I see).

This is odd, but as nothing from the stock of parts was thrown away, it is understandable. May be there are some more of these 5 digit - 3 lined Stoeger around...

·
Gold Bullet Member
831 Posts
As the current custodian of SN413V,until I pass it on to next collector who will preserve it for posterity, it was great to re-acquaint myself with the story of the Israeli Lugers. I, of course have a copy of the famous authentication letter regarding the guns that came to the USA. Always nice to see research of this quality. Every time I re-read this thread, I thank heavens for people like yourself who are dedicated to serious research and the preservation of history.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
It should not be forgotten that DWM had been involved in a long standing law suit with Georg Luger who had left the Company in 1919. Although the High Court in Leipzig found for Georg Luger in 1922, proceedings continued until Luger´s death in December 1923. Recriminations on both sides were of a personal nature and it is therefore understandable that DWM had little interest in marketing a product that they had had ceased to manufacture in 1918 under the trade name of “ Luger”.

Post War Luger production at DWM and at Mauser Oberndorf was limited to utilising stocks of spare parts until production for the Reichswehr started in earnest again in 1935.

Thus, U.S registration of the trade marks “DWM”, “parabellum” and “Luger” could hardly have been of much interest to BKIW at that time.

Furthermore, it was common practise in both World Wars for the United States to acquire foreign national trade marks (similarly, “Lend Lease” resulted in the acquisition of a number of British companies and trade marks, including the Viscose Corporation).

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
John,
For a student compliments like yours are very encouraging to continue the research! This article was written in 2005. In the meantime new facts have emerged. Actually I am corresponding with the curator of the Electric Company of Israel Archives. We hope to find documents related to the purchase of the Luger Pistols during 1937-1938 and their use by the Company's Guards.

Since 2006 I am working on the chapters about Mauser's commercial- and contract Parabellum pistols for a book 'The Mauser Parabellum 1930-1946'. I think I need another year for additional research and 'double checking' of the new facts that I have found. When this job is finished I will update this article.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Martin,

I learned about the very 'un-gentleman-like' legal fight between Paul von Gontard (DWM-BKIW) and Georg Luger from Joachim Görtz's 'Die Pistole 08'. Apart from the official reason (royalties) there must have been also a strong personal disliking between the two opponents. I tried to find copies of the minutes of the court meetings; until now without success.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Joop,

Truly outstanding!

However, time is showing "Let's wait and see if this tutorial could grow out to be a sort of reference for the Stoeger Lugers" would have been better as a reference had the photos been as permanent as the text. They have now disappeared.

Jack

·
Gold Bullet Member
831 Posts
Jack,

It is with great sadness that I must tell you that Joop passed away.

However, the good news is that this work is memorialized in his and Don Hallock's work: The Mauser Parabellum.

In Chapter 30 the story of these pistols is told.

For you information, several of these Palestine Electric Lugers were imported into the states in the 80s by Don Hallock and I am pleased to say that I own one of them. See message 23 below.

John

·
Registered
49 Posts
guns3545,

I did not know of Joop's passing. I'm sorry, too. I have his and Don Hallock's book and will look it up.

I still have to say, generally, the value of one's posting as a future reference is higher if photos are not lost by expiring with time.

I checked your post #23. Good post. I'd like to see photos of your Luger.

Thank you for your post.

Jack

·
Administrator
13,138 Posts
guns3545,

I did not know of Joop's passing. I'm sorry, too. I have his and Don Hallock's book and will look it up.

I still have to say, generally, the value of one's posting as a future reference is higher if photos are not lost by expiring with time.

I checked your post #23. Good post. I'd like to see photos of your Luger.

Thank you for your post.

Jack
It just happens - less so if stored on this site (that time period was a major overhaul of the site).
We will have another major overhaul soon - but they promise that besides it looking different, it will still retain old photos.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts