Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Condition being of paramount importance, I decided that if I were to ever own a K Date luger then my standards had to be some what lowered or either an excessive amount of money paid to acquire the right level of condition. Having compromised between the two , I have acquired the following example and seem to be satisfied but does have an anomaly which I have determined to be correct that adds some flare to this luger. It shows Mauser having the typical German mind-set of throwing nothing away. See if you don't agree. Or maybe you don't.

Download Attachment: DSC01685.JPG
202.7 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01686.JPG
217.51 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01687.JPG
212.77 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01688.JPG
237.51 KB
This particular manufacturer is Karl Ackva and is dated 1934. Waffenamt 102 was used in this case. The locations of manufacturers found in 1934 luger holsters can be in one of three different locations; on the front holster body, on the rear holster body, or on the inside rear wall of holster body.

Download Attachment: DSC01330.JPG
225.41 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01689.JPG
113.28 KB
For some unknown reason most sideplates found on K dates are "funky" looking, meaning that the bluing never took the same finish as balance of gun.

Download Attachment: DSC01690.JPG
120.11 KB
There is a mixture of Scriptic and Gothic S's found throughout on this weapon.

Download Attachment: DSC01691.JPG
119.73 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01697.JPG
128.94 KB

Download Attachment: K date barrel proof.JPG
134.81 KB
I said the gun possess an anomaly and it is the proofmark of 037 on the barrel which by all rights should be a B90 proof. Because of this proofmark I can say that I was reasonably assured that the gun was all matching and original as it left the factory in 1934.

Download Attachment: K date barrel serial number.JPG
163.1 KB
You probaly have noticed that the serial number was stamped over an existing number but which had used the same font and size as found on remainder of the gun. This renumbering along with the 037 proof barrel tells me that Mauser simply used an earlier serial numbered barrel that had its proof accepted with 037 rather than B90. If one looks closely at the barrel serial number one can see the first two digits of the original number being 34. This tells me that the barrel is an earlier barrel than the weapon which Mauser renumbered and used this barrel at a later time than what was the time it was made.

Download Attachment: K date frame serial number.JPG
145.26 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01331.JPG
234.79 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01333.JPG
210.62 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01694.JPG
164.88 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01695.JPG
157.17 KB
The purpose of this photo is to show that the magazine proof on this particular weapon is 037 . It is only the second place in which an 037 proof is found on this gun with the balance being B90 or the S91.

Download Attachment: DSC01698.JPG
96.77 KB B90 proofed loading tool.

Download Attachment: DSC01699.JPG
182.81 KB

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
John
Excellent photographs and presentation of a K Date rig with mixed scriptic and gothic S.

I used to own a K date that was overstamped on its side plate like the barrel your K date is stamped. The sideplate was properly "S" stamped and I am sure was original. The barrel on yours looks correct. Wish I had kept that K date.
Jan

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
A K date in any condition is worth having. In the late 1960s the Luger Journal presented photographs of four K dates. Some were less than 50 percent.
Jan

It took 6 minutes for my computer to complete down loading of Huggies post. Is this time about standard or is something wrong with my computer?

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Huggiebear

Very nice K date luger, it's nice when you find/have one with the interspersed proofs, sort of makes them more desirable.

Re Side plate--- Harder material and did not accept the blueing as readily as the rest. How about the receiver ends are they lighter also.

Jan. This computer loaded immediately

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Receiver ends are not of the same texture of finish as the sideplate but not up to the frame standards either.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I called the cable company and found out that the cable in Alaska is as slow as dial up in the lower 48. $40 extra a month will get 10X fasted downloading, which I will do on Monday. Thanks for your help.
Jan

·
Registered
704 Posts
Jan,

Your poor computer performance may be due to a spy-ware infestation. Suggest you do a screen (There are many programs avail free that will do this) and depending on result, consider purchasing a spy-ware removal program.

I use Spyware Killer 2.5 and am *very* pleased.

Tom A.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Tom
I did a spyware removal just before the 6 minute download of this series of posts.
I changed my cable subscription today and the download took about 15 seconds. Much better even if it costs $40 more a month.
Jan

G

·
I can't read the serial number on your K-Date. However from what I can tell the serial number appears to be near the 35xx range. If this is true, It's my opinion the O-37 barrel acceptance is correct. I believe the B-90 guy showed up just about this serial range. Good Luck, it's always fun to find a K-date.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.