Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Digging deep into my collection I thought that perhaps this example would help to shead some more light on the subject of S's found on Weimar era lugers, but then that is my opinion and does not conclusively prove whether or not the letter S does , in fact, represent Simson one way or another. It does rather adds to the discussion. This is not normally my kind of item to possess but the very nature of having two matching magazine rig with such unusual features drew my attention to it. Trust that you will find it as interesting as I have.

Download Attachment: holster front.JPG
129.56KB This holster is my candidate of the Police using a contractor or forced labor camp to produce such substandard products. It certainly was not done by any of the known major holster suppliers to the Police of the time.

Download Attachment: holster rear.JPG
100.26KB

Download Attachment: holster proofrmark.JPG
122.61KB The attempted denazification shown here is or was the allowed and prefered method of doing so , in the then West German Government. It was done by rounding off the tip of a drill rod and burnishing the leather with this drill rod with the use of a drill press or electric hand drill.

Download Attachment: pistol left side.JPG
153.27KB

Download Attachment: pistol close up left side.JPG
125.06KB Numberous parts have been ground and renumbered such as the side plate and the take down lever shown here.

Download Attachment: top view of toggle.JPG
156.45KB

Download Attachment: pistol right side.JPG
149.56KB

Download Attachment: right side close up.JPG
132.8KB Normal array of DWM proofmarks found on this non stamped 1920, 1917 DWM.

Download Attachment: DWM barrel proof.JPG
116.96KB

Download Attachment: frame front.JPG
94.5KB Although not shown , there are no police markings on either on the front or rear gripstraps.

Download Attachment: barrel serial number.JPG
105.93KB Perhaps others have a better memory than I, but wasn't there something brought out about these DR or DP markings found on the barrels. If one looks closely, one can see parts of a droopwinged eagle proof underneath this DR or DP stamp. The only such example found on this gun to have any other proofs but DWM.

Download Attachment: side view of mags.JPG
104.22KB

Download Attachment: lower rear spline.JPG
108.76KB Unknown set of numbers which either mean the magazines were used prior to being presented here on this particular pistol or have some other unknown significances.

Download Attachment: lower mag bottoms.JPG
124.63KB Suspected Police Depot numbered magazines using these very large numbers and Roman numerals.

Download Attachment: better upper mag bottoms.JPG
97.95KB I have a hard time trying to figure out why a waffenamt 6 and Simson's logo are both found together on a Police magazine, but nevertheless , we have yet another mystery to unlock.
Download Attachment: Simson logo.jpg
60.86KB Lest we have further doubts as to the significance of a letter S inside a triangle , I have presented the Simson company logo which can be found on both paper and on this example of a Simson produced commercial rifle.

·
Administrator
15,075 Posts
KK, great display and brings a few questions????

Good to see you posting again, are you running out of great examples to share? ~~grinning~~

Ed

·
Registered
406 Posts
quote:Originally posted by huggiebear
Lest we have further doubts as to the significance of a letter S inside a triangle , I have presented the Simson company logo which can be found on both paper and on this example of a Simson produced commercial rifle.
There are stampings that consist of various types of "S's", an S in a circle and triangle, an S in a triangle with a triangle flanking on each side and, then, of course, an entirely different type of S in side a circle. I am certain that these symbols all something; the question is what? We know that Simson used a particular type of logo which differs in several significant respects from other "S" stampings. I find it difficult to believe and presumptious to infer that they all mean the same thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.