Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all, I’ve attached some pictures of my Luger. I’m quite sure it’s a commercial/export model, definitely DWM, but I’m having trouble attaching a date to the pistol. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
13,290 Posts
It is a DWM made, commercial, sold to the USA audience, as its stamped Germany.
Likely made in the mid to late 1920's
Assume its in 7.65mm (30 luger)
It is really in excellent condition, although the strawing has been redone. Has it been reblued?

Ed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. It’s a family heirloom, my dad has had it for the last 20 years until a few weeks ago. I know it hasn’t been reblued since being in my dad’s possession, but I can’t speak to what happened before then. My grandfather had it before that, as long as my dad could remember along with a p38(ac44) that was much easier to put a date on.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I am curious on the same thing .... Why is it considered being a refinished gun... It looks original on the pictures, including the straw ...

Did I miss something...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
If you can post a clearer picture of the suffix letter under the serial number on the frame, it may be possible to narrow the date within a few years. To my eye it looks like it COULD be a "k" which would be around 1923. If it's a letter deeper into the alphabet then it would be later.

IMHO the strawed parts are original and have not been redone.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
k

·
2,570 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

It's a "k".

I believe it's been reblued because some of your photos show the bluing over pitting.

The Serial numbers on DWM Lugers were stamped AFTER bluing, and as a result strain the surface of the steel surrounding the areas where the dies pressed into the steel surface. The result of this is slight stretching of the blued surface, leading to light color "halos" around where the digits are stamped. These halos are missing from your pistol, which is typical of reblued and restored pistols.

We have a great FAQ document you'll find useful.

It's a great Luger. Because of the rebluing and restoration work it would not be considered collectible, but it will be a great shooter Luger if in good mechanical condition.

Marc

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
"blue over pitting" .... Where.. I didn't see that.. could you pin-point?

The halo does appear around serial, and that halo does not look being created by micro-sandblasting.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Tough to say without hands on but my vote is for original finish. I think the pitting Marc is referring to (in front of side plate)? is actually oil. At least that is what my old eyes see when I zoom in. I also think I see a halo on the barrel numbers and C/N on the side plate? Also looking at the third photo of the top of the Luger, you can see a big finish difference between the toggle and the frame. If it was a reblue you would think the finish would look the same. JMHO.

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts