Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Tula 1941 TT33 That I Picked Up In Lakeland, FL

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Dan44 
#1 ·
Soviet TT33 “Tokarev” Pistol

This pistol was obtained at the Lakeland, FL gunshow last weekend. While walking the hall I noticed this pistol sitting on a table at the end of the aisle from Len’s table. I asked the seller his price and he immediately began the hard sell; which I hate. I am also hard of hearing and his voice was giving me some problems. I went about my business half hoping someone else would buy this and relieve me of the duty of having to deal with this seller again. I am about as low pressure as they come when it comes to gun sales. I just hate to get the used car dealer treatment when I am buying guns. At 4:45pm with 15 minutes left I caved in and bought this pistol. It came with one magazine, cleaning rod and a leather holster that is clearly a Peoples Republic of China Type 54 holster. The holster does appear to have been with this pistol for a good long time so I have begun exploring the idea that this might be a capture piece from Vietnam.

The finish on this pistol is graying with some residual finish in less exposed areas. There is a very fine misting of the exterior metal finish from exposure a long time ago to moisture or more likely service in a very moist environment that degraded the finish but not to the point of pitting. There is no active rust. The pistol is a TT33 built at Tula in 1941. All small and major parts and marked with the Tula star. The barrel, frame, slide and internal workings group all have matching serial numbers. The magazine appears to be a replacement obtained in the USA. The bore is in good shape as are the mechanics of this pistol. There are no importers markings to be found on this pistol. The original grips are intact. There has not been a safety installed on this pistol. These last three facts seem to indicate that this pistol came to the USA prior to 1968 as either a war trophy or private luggage of a person who purchased it overseas.

I think this pistol was a bargain but would like your opionion as to approximate values on a pistol like this. Several "big time" collectors walked past it on a number of occaisons and I have been known to pay more than the norm from time to time.

Download Attachment: Soviet TT33.JPG
267.23KB

See less See more
#2 ·
Michael,
Me too. I have been known to pay a bit too much at times for a desireable pistol. Here's a photo of my TT33. It is a matching pre-war 1937 Tula Arsenal pistol with correct magazine, though the ser.# on the toe of the mag is non-matching. My pistol has a sort of high polish patina, and is not as "brownish" as it appears in the photo.

I paid $500 for mine in May/2000. I don't think I overpaid on this one, but am not certain. I do know that I have only ever seen one other for sale at a gun show, so I figure that they must be somewhat of a rare bird. If anyone has an idea of the market value or rarity of these pistols, then I also would appreciate any input.
Pancho
Download Attachment: RussianTT33-1.jpg
148.35 KB
Download Attachment: RussianTT33-2.jpg
127.78 KB
Download Attachment: RussianTT33-3.jpg
118.32 KB

#3 ·
I just picked up a decent 1941 with some holster wear and a beat up bore. I have a 1939 that I think has some cold blue work. Everyone of these pistols I see, and I don't see many, is rough! They must hae traveled a tuff road to the United States!! Dean

#4 ·
Pancho,
Nice photo layout and nice Tokarev. I bought one in 1991 that came from a vet who reported he traded his M1911A1 for it at the Elbe in 1945. Like a dolt I sold that one off. I now know enough to grab these when they present themselves in original condition. For what it is worth mine is no way as bad as it looks in that grainy image I posted from my scanner. Mine has a more gray/plum effect than roughness it appears to have. I paid $200 otd for mine.

#5 ·
Here is mi TT 30 the rare TT 33 predecessor. The shape is almost the same. The main difference is the frame back. TT 30 frame had open back, TT 33 frame is closed. Another difference is in trigger upper part: TT 30 trigger is edged, TT 33 trigger is round. My SN is 44789 and the year of production 1934.

Download Attachment: TT.30.L.small.JPG
87.51KB

Download Attachment: TT.30.P.small.JPG
79.96KB

Download Attachment: TT.30.roz.small.JPG
87.25KB

#6 ·
quote:Originally posted by Jan

Here is mi TT 30 the rare TT 33 predecessor. The shape is almost the same. The main difference is the frame back. TT 30 frame had open back, TT 33 frame is closed. Another difference is in trigger upper part: TT 30 trigger is edged, TT 33 trigger is round. My SN is 44789 and the year of production 1934.

Download Attachment: TT.30.L.small.JPG
87.51 KB

Download Attachment: TT.30.P.small.JPG
79.96 KB

Download Attachment: TT.30.roz.small.JPG
87.25 KB
Jan,

Thanks for those images. Now all we need is to get a few more of these into the USA. I have become used to the lines of the TT33 but there is something appealing to the look of the TT30.

#12 ·
Dan 44,

Here is a couple pictures of mine (TT33 1947)--I think they probably came into the the US in the same shipment. I would love to find an early war or pre war one like Pancho, Dean, Jan and Michael Jon have (a real been there done that Soviet sidearm) but these post war ones without the safety added are sure in nice shape. Thanks guys for pictures of your early ones!

Download Attachment: Tokarev Rig.jpg
75.28KB

Download Attachment: Tokarev Left Side.jpg
70.72KB

Download Attachment: Tokarev Right Side.jpg
73.48KB

#11 ·
Dan 44,

Here is a couple pictures of mine (TT33 1947)--I think they probably came into the the US in the same shipment. I would love to find an early war or pre war one like Pancho, Dean, Jan and Michael Jon have (a real been there done that Soviet sidearm) but these post war ones without the safety added are sure in nice shape. Thanks guys for pictures of your early ones!

Download Attachment: Tokarev Rig.jpg
75.28KB

Download Attachment: Tokarev Left Side.jpg
70.72KB

Download Attachment: Tokarev Right Side.jpg
73.48KB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.