Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Rob,

Very nice photos and a beautiful pistol. Is that the original finish?
What I find very odd about this revolver design is that there is no lock-up of the cylinder after a trigger pull and the cylinder can be spun to any chamber with a fired or unfired cartrdige. Perfect gun for "Russian Roulette". They are however very well made and finshed pistols. Thanks for posting the photos!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Lloyd for your kind comments. Yes this is the original arsenal finish. Most examples were sent back to the arsenal for re-conditioning. I'd sure like to know how this revolver survived in this condition. The lighting makes it look like there's some finish wear to the trigger & muzzle. There is no wear, at all. The trigger is a deep purple color & the hammer is a multi-hue metallic color. Hard to believe its around 100 years old!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking at the hammer on yours it appears that it's also one that hasn't been returned for rework. The reworks have all rust blued parts. That being the case, these should both have the same charcoal blue finish. I used to have another that was not reworked & it does seem that the finish does "brighten" up with wear, as it was pretty shiny. Actually, the one above is more shiney that it looks in the photo. Harry Derby's book "Hand Cannons of Imperial Japan" shows the early finish quite well in the color plates. By the way, Lloyd - that's a nice looking T-26!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a fellow in L.A. that has a .30 cal. ammo can full of Japanese 9mm rounds @ $6 ea. Interesting holster Pancho - if you lean your head to the left you can make out the date and the Osaka arsenal mark. Papa & early T-14 holsters were marked sideways like this. Also, that is a very nice T-26. Thanks to all for their comments!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Its hard to tell by the photos. Look for the fire bluing in the hammers, struts, hammer stirrup, hinge pin and hinge pin screw. A lot of these were redone before WW2. Based on the holster wear and condition, I would say they were WW2 bring backs. Also, because of the lack of ammo after the war, most "vets" didn't bother refinishing them.
Dean

G

·
Actually, that was a keen observation by you "DGIZ". WOW. THE FIRST TWO WERE VET BRING BACKS FOR Sure they both came with the holsters. One has the shoulder strap still attached and the ohter has lots of Japanese Kanji, including the Kokura arsenal mark on inside of lid, in addition to A date that was scrathed in by The VETERAN. The last one I'm not sure about, it did not come with a holster

·
Registered
192 Posts
How often are Type 26's seen with no serial number on the outside? My example has a dark blue-black fire blue finsh, though some of the parts are a lighter shade of blue-black. The number is 1XX, but the number is only on the inside, the number was never stamped under the Type designation. It has about 75% original finish.

·
Registered
839 Posts
45Auto,
No serial number on the outside is uncommon but not unheard of. Some early ones have no markings on the outside. Are there any markings on the outside of yours?
Dean

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.