Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine got a luger from his grandfather and asked me to look at it. I don't know as much about them as you guys. It is unmarked and undated and has WAa66, crown over N stamped in a few places, serial #5366t and on the grip strap engraved L.SIA.163. His grandfather told him it was broken. I tried to dry fire it but it wouldn't work. I took it apart and the fire pin plunger was out so I put it back in and turned it into position and put the gun back together again. I tried to dry fire again and it did but the plunger came back out again. Either the plunger or the part it goes into must be worn. It is an all matching gun and he possibly might sell it to me. What would be a reasonable price to offer him? Thanks, DEL

·
Administrator
15,547 Posts
Del, we would need even more information to help with a value. It sounds like it is a "commerical", (although with a serial number of 5366t, then I would feel that it started as a military and was then "made" into a commerical).
Pictures of top, both sides, serial number, etc., would help in actually ID'ing into it for you.

Prices would vary, a "shooter" value could be $450 to up to $600. All depends on if working, if there is pitting, if original, then value would / could go up...

And is it 9mm or 7.65mm?

Ed

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,500 Posts
I'm guessing it is a police Alphabet DWM in the t-block (1929?)assigned to the Lanjägerei (Gendarms). A photo of the grip strap mark would be much appreciated or at least a confirmation that the mark is exactly like you have listed it with no additional periods. Does the toggle have a DWM logo or is it blank?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Until I can get around to arranging to take a picture of the luger all I can add right now is the toggle is void of any maker marks. It is not pitted. The only thing that is wrong with it is the plunger pin not working correctly. All internal parts also match the gun. The clip is aluminum base but does not match the gun. It is 9mm and the grip strap engraving is exactly L.SIA.163. Do you know what this stands for? It came in a dated 1944 P38 holster. DEL

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Help in quick identification.
Almost all lugers that bear the E/WaA66 stamp are found in the s, t, and u suffix serial range, were manufactured by DWM (BKIW)in 1929 and early 1930, are with or without the C/N proof, and were designated for the military or police. By far the largest number went to the police. Many bear the police sear safety and a significant number are Landjagerer unit marked. They are properly called 29 DWM. Some are found matched to 1929 dated brown police holsters.
It is interesting that the E/WaA66 and Landjagerei stamps are almost completely restricted to these s, t, and u suffix Lugers.
Jan

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your replies so far. I do not have the luger, my friend has it. When I looked at it last, at the grip strap under a magnifying glass, it definately appeared to be L.SiA.163. A small case i instead of a capital I. It did not look like a T. Could the small case i be correct? Also what does it stand for? Is it a police marking of some kind? Are these rare lugers? He might sell it to me but I don't know how much money to offer him. Like I said in my previous post, the firing pin plunger keeps coming out of position. Could that be the plunger itself or the part that it goes into? Hope to hear from someone. Thanks, DEL

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,500 Posts
Del,
I'm not the one to advise you on this pistol's value but it does not sound like it is very rare and there's the problem with the firing pin. Good photos of the firing pin retainer might help someone diagnose the problem. Another factor is the overall condition of the pistol which generally requires photos for the experts on this forum to evaluate.

Regarding the grip strap mark, it is still a puzzle that will require sharp photos to evaluate. It certainly seems like a Landjägerei (the "L.") police mark but "SiA." is unknown. Has the mark been messed with (a line or X stamped over it)? Also, the presence or absence of a sear safety can be an important clue as to its police history. If you don't know what a sear safety looks like, perhaps someone will post a link to a photo of one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was over at my friend's house this morning and unfortunately the close up of the L.SiA. did not come in clear. I will have to go back and get better pics. But I will post the ones that are blurry for now so you might be able to get an idea. I hope the pics of the luger could identify it for sure of it's maker and what you guys think of it's condition as to it's value. Thanks, DEL

Download Attachment: Dcp_0960.jpg
24.55 KB

Download Attachment: Dcp_0960.jpg
24.56 KB

Download Attachment: Dcp_0961.jpg
26.71 KB

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,500 Posts
Del,
I'm afraid I have to agree with garfield. I can't make much out of it. If I had to guess from what I see, I would say it is "Sta." with the "t" lightly struck. I hope you will try again but, in the meantime, you might also consider whether it could be "Sch.", "St." or "Sd." all of which are known district abbreviations.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
It is absolutely "L.Sta.163.".

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
It is absolutely "L.Sta.163.".

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,500 Posts
Del,

I agree with Geo. The "t" was poorly struck.

In addition to the information provided by Jan Still, I can only add that this pistol was assigned to the rural police (Landjägerei) in the district of Stade, in the Prussian province of Hannover. It's sear safety indicates it was in police service when the orders of 1933 to add these devices were implemented.

As to the value of this pistol, I'm not qualified to give you an opinion. Hopefully, someone who is will chime in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.