Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Unique Pistol info needed

126K views 171 replies 76 participants last post by  armabill 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I am gathering information on the French pre war and German occupation Unique pistols. This information will be added to a master list being established by French pistol collectors and available to collectors. It is their goal to establish a time frame and serial number range (or ranges) for the pistols produced by Manufacture d'Armes des Pyrennees Francaises (MAPF). This list will include information regarding Model types, variations and serial numbers. Only we, as collectors, can repair the damage done by passing time and lost records.
Here is what is needed.
1-MODEL such as Unique 10,16,18,17 (any and all models). The German occupation ones, and Kriegsmodelle.
2-The complete SERIAL NUMBER.
3-For Unique 17s, the type of SLIDE LEGEND(see example below),

Examples of slide legends on Unique 17s:
Variation one, Three line legend Pre war:

"MANUFACTURE D'ARMES DES PYRENNEES HENDAYE
LE VERITABLE PISTOLET FRANCAIES 'UNIQUE'
MARQUE DEPOSEE CAL. 7.65MM S.F.M"

Second variation, one line legend (French military contract):

"7.65 COURT 9 COUPS "UNIQUE"

And the third type (German occupation):

"7.65 COURT 9 COUPS "UNIQUE"
MANUFACTURE D'ARMES DES PYRENNEES HENDAYE"

4-The type of GRIPS on the pistol.

5-NOTES: to include markings such as Waffenamts (WaA251 or WaA20), Police units, GECO, additional numbers, Property marks, lanyard rings, safety stud added (17s) etc"

This is the only way we can put together the puzzle of pistol production and procurement. Maybe we can answer some long asked questions such as "Was there a new serial number range for German weapons?", "Did the German Unique 16s have their own serial number range?", "How many M17s did France recieve before the invasion?". Similar information is also being collected in France. No personel information is released without owners permission. Please post your information on this forum or you can email me at DAGIZ4@aol.com. Your pistol could be the missing piece!

Pre war Unique 17 and German Unique 16

Download Attachment: up1.jpg
41.9 KB

Three line legend on early Unique 17s and German Unique 16s.

Download Attachment: up2.jpg
42.21 KB

Lion grips on early 17.

Download Attachment: up3.jpg
43.79 KB

See less See more
#2 ·
Have in my collection Unique Model 17, Second Variation slide legend (7.65 COURT 9 COUPS "UNIQUE"), Sn. 24733, WaA251, grips are black plastic (7.65m/m 9 SCHUSS). The gun is in very good condition, but the metal finish is very rough, showing many milling marks that were never polished out before bluing ( the WaA is stamped over milling marks). The barrel is numbered 153, and has the German military proof. There is a lanyard loop on the lower left side of the frame. Pins all too long or too short. Hope this information is helpful. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions. The gun was a vet bring back, but I have no information on when or where it was acquired.

#3 ·
I have Kreigsmodell ser# 69204, German Legend , black ribbed "7,65mm 9 SCHUSS" grips. Barrel # 267, slide and frame #259.WaAD20 on right rear frame.Eagle proof on rear edge left barrel flat.Holes drilled for lanyard loop. No loop. Metal is smooth, no mill marks. Appears bead blasted with a thin brassy toned finish.

Ron

#4 ·
Thanks Sauer! Yours is very close to the Unique 16 range and narrows that gap! We will see if they overlap showing two seperate ranges! Your slide apears to be from the left over French stock. It shows up AFTER a German two line legend. May show that German slides were in production as the French ones were being used up. Interesting.
Thanks for sharing. Dean

#5 ·
Thanks Ron.
Come on guys...I know that there are more French Uniques(any model), German occupation Unique 16 and 17s and Kriegsmodelles out there! There is still plenty of room on the list. Its about time you dug that pistol out of the safe and cleaned it anyway!
Dean

#21 ·
Crank,
If you take your pistol apart and turn the safety lever, it will have a notch to come out. The serial number is on the post. Not sure how often the Germans marked these...the French did. Most people don't take their pistols apart far enough to give us this info. It is easy to do.
Dean

#22 ·
Crank,
If you take your pistol apart and turn the safety lever, it will have a notch to come out. The serial number is on the post. Not sure how often the Germans marked these...the French did. Most people don't take their pistols apart far enough to give us this info. It is easy to do.
Dean

#23 ·
Dgiz,Had to take the grips off to take the safty lever out, yes ,on the flat of the lever is the #314. also on the back of the grips are (right)grip what looks like the#4,and on the (left)grip it looks like a C with a tail on the bottom of the C, kinda looks like a micrometer. Crank

#24 ·
Dgiz,Had to take the grips off to take the safty lever out, yes ,on the flat of the lever is the #314. also on the back of the grips are (right)grip what looks like the#4,and on the (left)grip it looks like a C with a tail on the bottom of the C, kinda looks like a micrometer. Crank

G
#25 ·
Hey Dgiz, My Unique 17 pistol has the vertical ribbed grips with “7.65M/M 9 SCHUSS” imprinted on it.

The frame, the safety lever, the slide, and the barrel all have the number “307” on them, they all match.

The slide legend has the two-line imprint on it
7.65 COURT 9 COUPS "UNIQUE"
MANUFACTURE D'ARMES DES PYRENNEES HENDAYE

The serial number is 72982, on the right side of the frame. The right rear of the frame has the WaAD20 with the German eagle military proof symbol above it.
The barrel has the German eagle military proof symbol on it.
On the bottom left, below the grips and close to the magazine slot, is a lanyard ring.

The gun was given to me by my great-aunt, who had it after my great-uncle died. He brought it back from France when he came back from WWII.

Any more info you can come up with about it? Seems as if it was made during the German occupation based on the serial number and what I've read so far. Concur?

I got it broken down to clean, now I'm having a heck of a time getting the barrel back in place and the trigger to work. I think I'll have to take it to a gunsmith to get it back together. I want to have it checked out before I shoot it anyway. Any ideas, anyone? Reply here or to allbritten7@NOSPAMyahooNOSPAM.com. Thanks!

#26 ·
Keith,

Welcome to the best collectible pistol forum on the internet. Acutally, your pistol is the next model or German refined Unique pistol called the Unique Kriegsmodell. It is easliy distinguished from the Unique Model 16 and Unique Model 17 by the external hammer. This external hammer was a refinement the Germans incorporated into the Unique pistol design resulting in the Kriegsmodell like you have. The Kriegsmodell was in the serial number range 58,000 to around 76,000. Anyway, I am sure Dgiz will welcome your serial number on your Unique Kriegsmodell for his data base. Here is a web site instruction guide that may help you with the reassembly of your pistol http://www.marstar.ca/AssemblyMilitaryPP.htm

Anyway welcome aboard and thanks for sharing the information on your Unique Kriegsmodell pistol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.