Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a late war holster for my CYQ P38 and I've seen a few on ebay from Russia that are "guaranteed original" but in like new condition. Has anyone here bought one of these? They look really good but I'd sure hate to spend $200-$250 for a repro. The one I'm looking at is WaA25 bml44 stamped. any guidance here would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Don't know.

But, Russia + EBay + mint, this combo raises many red flags. Just look at those Russian WWII Tokarevs and Nagants, their natural condition... Why would they preserve German holsters?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know.

But, Russia + EBay + mint, this combo raises many red flags. Just look at those Russian WWII Tokarevs and Nagants, their natural condition... Why would they preserve German holsters?
I don 't know why they would have these. That's what makes me suspicious. Here are a few pics. Tell mw what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
Many of these holsters were imported from Russia. I believe about 12 years ago?
They were captured at the end of the war by the Russians and placed in storage until then. Seen them in Louisville and they were in stacks. Also had some nice never issued 37M holsters. I've owned both. Still have the P38 holster, Police marked. At the time they were selling for dirt cheap. Cant believe their going for that kind of money

Bob

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
10,073 Posts
Looking at the holster closely it warnt made yesterday! Looks like a good origonal to me.

·
Administrator
13,361 Posts
what Jerry said - about 10-12 years ago there were hundreds of these floating around and there was much talk about them being real or not. Answer was what Jerry said ;)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I agree with previous comments and posted the example I picked up a few years back and response was positive. I think I bought mine from a forum member if I remember correctly.
John

·
Registered
185 Posts
I’ve been collecting German militaria since 1976. I clearly remember when the East-West Berlin wall fell, I believe in 1989 or so, that many hundreds or probably many thousands of WW2 German holsters and related militaria were released from Russian East German storage locations, where they had been kept since they were captured at the end of the war. Holsters that had previously been considered rare, for example the GXY1945 softshell P-38 holsters, came onto the American collector market through dealers and gun shows in large quantities, and at bargain prices. All legitimate, most in mint, unissued, as-captured condition. Like from a time capsule. They had been stored in Russia like stacked ice cream cones, closure flaps open, one inside the next, to the point that the metal closure stud of softshell holsters often created a slight pressure dimple in the leather of the adjoining holster, often a telltale indication to collectors that it wasn’t an individual vet bringback, but rather from bulk Russian storage. The softshell holster in the photo from the OP certainly looks like one of those originals. Of course an in-hand exam would be helpful, but I’m just offering my $.02 regarding the existence of large quantities of legitimate WW2 German equipment, such as holsters, that flooded the American market, not 10-12yrs ago, but more like 30yrs ago.

·
Registered
WWII firearms, holsters, insignia, badges, Japanese swords, and other militaria
373 Posts
Your holster is 100% original, and so are the Russian Capture holsters. I was there, in 2000, at Riverbend Sports, with my good friend Charlie Justmann, when he received a shipment of these holsters from Ukraine. We opened the huge boxes together. They were stacked like ice cream cones. all mint, unissued holsters! We were like 2 kids in a candy store! Unfortunately, it was before smart phones, and wasn't planned at all. I just happened to be visiting Charlie the day they arrived! So I don't have any photos. Here's a photo of some of them I still have though, still stacked like ice cream cones as they arrived.

What a great time to be a collector! I remember Charlie telling me, we will probably never see this influx of original wartime holsters again. He was correct (so far! lol).

Matt:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
Not just the P38 holsters. a lot of other ones never issued have come out of Russia.
Yes, you are correct. There were also holsters for Browning 1922, High Power, Femaru P37, and several small SLP Police holsters (like for Sauer 38h, Mauser HSc, Walther PP, Astra....). I've attached photos of each. A variety of makers/dates as well. I couldn't buy them all, so I got one of each variation I could find. A great day!

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
I can only add 10 photos at a time. Here are some more of the Russian Capture holsters.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have had these before. And every one I had the gun will fit very tight and if you have a minty gun it will wear the bluing quickly and stress the closure strap. They are also stiff. If you are not going to put the gun in it they are nice to look at.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Matt, a super collection of Holsters! I especially like the DKK44. a tough one to find. I suspect its not marked on the rear of the P38 and it is the more rare Astra 600 holster! My gun came with one but I know how tough they are to find .

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have had these before. And every one I had the gun will fit very tight and if you have a minty gun it will wear the bluing quickly and stress the closure strap. They are also stiff. If you are not going to put the gun in it they are nice to look at.
Ken,

You are correct. However, I used Connolly hide care on them, and it does help soften them up. and the pistol will fit like a glove. Wrap your pistol in plastic wrap before putting it in the holster, and you'll be fine. You'll see in some of my photos I put magazines in the pouches to help them hold their shape as well.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Matt, a super collection of Holsters! I especially like the DKK44. a tough one to find. I suspect its not marked on the rear of the P38 and it is the more rare Astra 600 holster! My gun came with one but I know how tough they are to find .
Thank you. As I said, I just happened to stop in to see Charlie that day he got them in, so it was a bit of luck on my part! I wish I could have bought them all, but didn't have the funds at the time.

I've attached more photos of the "dkk" for you. I had an Astra 600 holster as well by "dkk", but sold it off, as I don't have any Astra pistols at that time.

I also attached photos of the rarest one I found. A P38 holster that has no markings except for a Luftwaffe LZA zeugampt inside the flap! We only found 3 of these in the whole lot! I have one, and I know Leon has one as well. Charlie kept one, but he may have sold it since then.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ken,

You are correct. However, I used Connolly hide care on them, and it does help soften them up. and the pistol will fit like a glove. Wrap your pistol in plastic wrap before putting it in the holster, and you'll be fine. You'll see in some of my photos I put magazines in the pouches to help them hold their shape as well.

I had another member tell me to soak them in warm water and then put the plastic covered gun in it and let it dry. I do not have any of these any more so it is no longer an issue for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought one of these back in 2008 for $99, police marked, they were advertised as unissued Russian captures, being sold by many of the reputable dealers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts