Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,534 Posts
A photo of that marking would be helpful as it doesn't seem to conform to standard army marking. Is it a four inch?

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,534 Posts
I have no idea of what it could be. Having said that, I would venture a guess that "3.KOMP." is a non standard representation of 3rd company(Kompagnie). The "N." does not represent anything that I can find as a standard type unit mark. There are others who have a far deeper knowledge of this area than I, perhaps one will step forward with an answer.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
crc
George gave you good information, it is a non standard mark. In my opinion, this is a late World War I stamp that probably signifies (3.KOMP.N.30) 3rd Company, weapon number 30. It is a partial stamp that does not indicate the regiment. Some Imperial bayonets are also marked with a similar partial stamp.
Jan

G

·
It is possible that the "N" portion of the unit mark stands for a intelligence unit or a signalling unit. I could be wrong, but, it is very likely.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,534 Posts
Chesty, I would love to see your reference material.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Richard
Like George, I would like to know your reference. I cannot find a definition for "N" in the Imperial Regulations (Gortz, German Small Arms Markings; and Noll, The Imperial German Regimental Markings)

The Weimar Regulations list N=Nachrichten=communications(Gortz, page 71-72). The proper format for the marking is N.A.1. = 1.(Preuss.)Nachrichtenabteilung, Stab; or 1/N.A. = 1. Kompanie of 1.(Preuss.)Nachrichtenabteilung. Neither of these Weimar Army Narkings are in the same format as 3.KOMP.N.30. However, the unit stamping armorers sometimes did not follow the regulations exactly. Does your bear a "1920" stamp that would indicate Weimar reissue.

I cannot find a stamping for an "intelligence unit" in the markings regulations and suspect that an "intelligence unit" might not mark its Lugers.
Jan

G

·
Hi George,

the reference book I used is titled "German Military Terms 1918". Vocabulary of Geman Military Terms and Abbreviations. The Imperial War Museum. As I said early on, I had some doubt, but gave it a shot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.