Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This pistol is an all matching,including 2 magazines, 1912 Erfurt S/N 7119 and holster stamped with Hannover, I believe. My grandfather brought it back from WWI and it has recently come into my possession. I am going through his discharge papers and piecing together his experience as an ambulance driver in 1918 France. In comparing it with photos on this site I note a lack of unit markings on the frontstrap. Any useful opinions or explanations?

Regards,

Fred

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Hi Fred, Welcome to the forum. Your 1912 Erfurt is a farely desirable Luger. Not all Imperial Lugers were unit marked. Only approx. 15% of 1912 Erfurts were unit marked. So it's not unusual for it not to be. What is the date on the holster? Photos of all views of the pistol, holster and markings are very important. An evaluation or identification is very difficult without them.
Ron

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
Fred, lacking a unit marking, the next factor that may give a clue, although very weak, is the question of a "hold-open". Does the toggle and bolt lock open on an empty magazine? If so, it may be a Bavarian Army issue or it may be a private purchase or officer's weapon. Without a unit mark, it really is impossible to say.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.