Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend recently purchased a 1916 DWM Luger. The unit marking on the gripstrap is; J.R. 48. 3. M. G. K. Anyone know what it stands for? I figure 3 M. G. K. is driten Maschinen Gewehr Kompanie, but anyone know what the J. R. 48 is? Jager Regiment 48?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you garfield for your explaination of the markings on the 1916 Luger.The first letter is definately a J. though. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Although 'I' is the marking most often associated with Infantry items, the 'J.R.' is also a correct designator for Infantry Regiment. True, 'J' was also used to designate a Jaeger unit, however, Jaeger units were ususally, until 1915, of Battalion size, consequently, 'J.B.' would normally be the proper regimental (the use of the term "regimental" herein is synonymous with "unit marking/stamp). In this instance the unit number is 48 which, I believe is too high for a Jaeger unit. In 1915 the Jaeger battalions were formed into regiments, however, I believe that the the highest numbered Jaeger regiment was a Bavarian regiment #29.

You must keep in mind that the area of Regimental markings can and, to me, is very confusing for the reason that there is no exactitude in these markings. In many instances, the only way that it can be determined what a particular regimantal is, would be to refer to the offical German regulations or actual unit histories.

If you are interested in these markings or wish a definative answer regarding your particular marking or the use of the "J", you should inquire of the site owner or Jeff Noll, both of whom are experts in this area. I am a mere "dabbler".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts