Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got these bakelit grips for P 08 (Simichrome & hotneedle Test passed) and I have no idea about the origin.
Diamonds bigger than original, but shape is sharp not as Repro.
(Fits a 42 byf perfect)

Any comments welcome and maybe Dave can give an answer too.

Karl

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
Somewhere behind the old Iron Curtain, these grip panels were made and installed on a lot of reworked lugers. The coarse, and irregular checkering along lines that are not straight are apparent in the left photograph. These came in on many lugers that were imported and sold on the retail market in the mid-late 1990s.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,107 Posts
Karl... IMO they are not originals. Both sides are different from any of the 6 types listed. The comment above from holster collector makes a lot of sense to me....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks holster collector & Dave,
I knew they weren't original but I want to know where they appear or where they were seen.
(I own Type 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6 original)

Karl

·
Registered
527 Posts
You are most welcome. I saw dozens of these in the 1990s when lugers were imported, supposedly from Russia. The lugers often had pre-1945 wood or bakelite grips, but not the original factory grips of the particular luger, with the wood grips often "shaved" on the front edge to better fit the luger they were placed on. The other luger parts were often mismatched on the older (WW1-era) lugers and sometimes matched factory original on the later lugers. Many of the lugers had newer, post-1945 grips of two types. One type is the type you have in the photos you posted. The other type had vertical grooves running the length of the grip. I obtained a pair of the checkered grips like yours for reference and obtained many pre-1945 wood or bakelite grips, too. Someday I need to get those grips to other collectors--I have little need for the many grips I have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts