Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all my fellow collectors.
I just purchased an 06 Navy with the grip strap mark U.A.57.
I can find very little info on the U.A. Is this a unit of the uboot command or a school ? any help is appreciated.

Thanks Leo

Download Attachment: Uboot uniform 003.jpg
51.92KB

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Leo
U.A.58 signifies Unterseeboots Abteilung 58. I do not know the relationship between the abteilung and the submarine number. See Imperial Lugers page 169 and 197, the source of the information is Gortz).
Excellent and very rare unit stamped Navy Luger.
Thanks for posting.
Jan

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Translation:
"The three English (sic!) armoured cruisers ...... being sunk in the North Sea 20 nautical miles north east of Hoek of Holland by U 9."
Handwriting (German): "12.000 tonnes, three old ???? ( illegible)

Patrick

·
Registered
147 Posts
Regarding Jan's painting of the U-9 sinking a British ship in WW1. One month after WW1 started, the German submarine U-9 under the command of Kapitain Leutnant Otto Weddingen, sank three British cruisers. They were the Aboukir, Cressy and Hogue and were sunk early on the morning of September 22. This remarkable feat was repeated on October 15 when this same submarine sank the cruiser Hawke.

I have a U-9 marked hat from one of the crewmem. The hat talley has UNTERSEEBOOT 9. on it. The two black tassels have been cut to about 6", the inside is red with a white makers mark that I cannot read, the leather hat band is fragil. Below are some photos of it. Harry

Download Attachment: 1.JPG
74.81KB

Download Attachment: 2.JPG
56.51KB

Download Attachment: 3.JPG
60.41KB

Download Attachment: 4.JPG
59.25KB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.