Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys, Here's another 'thought provoking' little Mauser M-1914 appears to may have served in both WW1 & WW2 ? I purchased it years ago primarily because of its relatively nice condition, along with it being Imperial Military proofed. ( Serial # 123520, w/ matching magazine. ) Early mkgs are C/U behind Rear Sight, & Imperial Military mkg in front of Rear Sight. OK, nothing unusual here, right. After looking it over, I noted something being different as opposed to my other 1914's ? Sure enough, the Front Sight was Round, not an serrated Ramp as it should be. Upon checking the barrel, I noted that it was Eagle N Nitro Proofed, which of course is quite unusual for a WW1 manufacture pistol.

Unfortunately the barrel isn't numbered to the gun, yet I remained fully confident that it's in the same configuration as it brought home in because I attacked down the Veteran's widow who sold it to the Gunshop. Any thoughts or comments here will be very much appreciated. I had some research notes I compiled years ago, & stuffed them inside the cover of my copy of Roy Pender's 'Mauser Pistols'. However like so many of my reference books, they've been buried in plastic tubs, stacked 3 deep in my garage ! It really sucks knowing I've got these books around, but finding them, well that's another issue altogether ! So, if anyone's ever encountered an similar pistol, I'd love to hear about it. THANKS

Best, Dom P.

·
Super Moderator
4,814 Posts
Both the crown/U and the eagle/N are commercial proofs required by law. If this pistol got a new barrel after 1940, the barrel would have been eagle/N proofed.

So it looks like someone, after 1940, installed a replacement barrel.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my first assumption, yet I find it unusual in that this particular pistol was an WW1 Imperial Army issue piece. Perhaps it was an Officer private purchase during WW1, & he then had the barrel replaced for his service during WW2 ? I checked it all out earlier, & its serial # falls within the known WW1 Imperial issues. And of course it is Imperial Military proofed. THANKS AGAIN !

Dom

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Can you post some pictures? I have an unnumbered barrel and slide. I am also familiar with Mauser .32 caliber pocket models that were re-worked in the WWII era. They are a combination of parts from the WWI and WWII era. Regards,

·
Super Moderator
4,814 Posts
Companies like GeCo were able to sell just about any spare part needed, so any gun shop could resell spare parts and fix pistols.

Here is a 1932 GeCo gun parts catalog, the Mauser pocket pistol section included.

A barrel cost 4.50 RM.
A slide for 8 RM.

Product Font Material property Book Paper

Newspaper Publication Font Newsprint Paper

Font Book Publication Commemorative plaque History

Reactions: spangy and mrerick

·
Super Moderator
4,814 Posts
The hard rubber grip was more expensive than the wooden one. Wooden grip: 1 RM, Hard rubber grip: 1.20 RM.

Font Rectangle Circle Pattern Number

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I would love to see some pics, but I agree it sounds like the barrel was replaced at some point after 1940. Most likely an overhaul. It would make sense if it was an imperial marked gun and stayed in inventory, they reworked it for reuse in WW2.

As for Vlim's pics of the Geco book...I love it! That is hilarious that the hard rubber were more expensive then the wooden grips.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THANKS Guys !! Regarding Photos, I wish nothing more than to Post photos of all my collection, at least the items relevant to our Forums. Hopefully, within the next few days I'll make it over to the 'Apple Store' so they can transfer & set up my new I - Phone, which I am in desperate need of. Then, it's 'Show Time', perhaps not all at once but eventually I'll manage to get everything of interest Posted.

OK, now regarding the Mauser M-1914, Serial # 123520. When initially obtained, it included an matching Magazine, along with an extremely interesting IWB Holster, which was fortunately fully manufacturer mk'd. ( I can't recall the mfgr's name, but I distinctly remember it's stamped; DRGM, which I take to indicate pre-WW2 manufacture ? ) To me, this particular Holster 'style' is quite interesting, as there is the distinct possibility of having Police use, or of course perhaps an armed, & obviously 'well connected' Civilian of that era.
All I know of its provenance is; It was brought home from overseas right after WW2 by an U.S. G.I., according to his Widow. She didn't recall very much as to his former unit, & or anything else regarding his WW2 Service, except that the pistol, in its Holster was with her Husband when he got home in early 1946. It apparently remained untouched, except for occasional, though not frequent 'oiling' ( Her words ) over the years. And as in so very many similar situations, she decided to 'get the gun' out of the house upon the Husband's passing as it made her nervous. She did however distinctly assure me that the gun remained in the exact same condition / configuration as it was when she first saw it sometime in 1946.

Therefore, I can only 'assume' that the Eagle N proofed Barrel had been installed prior to the end of WW2. And, just as a potential 'possibility', perhaps the fact of the Barrel not being Serialized might indeed indicate it being replaced / installed by other than the Mauser Factory ? ( Wouldn't the Mauser Factory have Serialized the new Barrel to the weapon ? Or, maybe even just the last 3 digits of the # ? ) I'm sure that once I'm able to get some photos up, it should be much easier to everyone to see what we're talking about ! Well, I guess that's it for the moment. As I stumble across additional items, I'll report back here in the appropriate Forum.

Today's mission is to find a few specific Holsters which came with a few of my pistols. I'm getting really annoyed because 2 of them bare extremely important to my collection, those being the CZ DUO Paper Laminate Rig, named to the Captain who 'liberated' it, along with a very nice 1943 or 1944 ( Can't recall which at the moment ? ) Schambach & Co. Polizei issued P.08 Rig !! You can only imagine how pissed I'm getting, especially as I know they're here somewhere !!! THANKS AGAIN,

Best, Dom P.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Dom, with a few rare exceptions Mauser did not serial number magazines. The most common numbering of magazines was done by Police armors. The barrel I have has an Eagle/N proof with no serial number. Most of the reworks I have seen had newer/replaced parts that were numbered to match. I suspect this occurred at the factory. As your barrel is not numbered leads me to think it was replaced and not a factory rework. The blank slide I have is not proofed or serial numbered. I look forward to seeing images as I may be able to tell you more. Regards,

·
Super Moderator
4,814 Posts
GeCo also sold numbering dies in several sizes, as well as the hammers to apply them.

Reactions: spangy

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THANKS Guys !! Of my 3 Mauser 1914's, only one of which included 2 numbered Magazines. ( Numbered as: 1. & 2. ) This is my # 246092, which is 'Crown U' proofed, & also exhibits the Wiemar era '1920' property mkg on the left slide flat. It's Landsjagerei mk'd on the front-strap, 'L. Ar. 388'. This one came along with an unmarked Brown leather Polizei style Flap Holster with the 2 #'d Magazines as described above. IIRC, this was my first 1914, found just sitting there in the Police Supply Shop I used to frequent multiple times per week. In fact, that's where I purchased the 'replaced barrel' 1914, Serial # 123520. OK, I'm off to shovel the boulders of mixed snow & freezing so kindly left at the bottom of my driveway by our town morons who operate the snow plows !! THANKS

Dom P.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick Addendum; Be advised that I just double checked 1914 # 123520, & it most definitely has an fully numbered Magazine. ( As in, '123520', right across the baseplate. ) I also looked with a glass, & it appears the the # was applied prior to bluing, either at Mauser, or very possibly at some Police Armory. Which however leads us to yet another question. Why wasn't it #'d with just the last 3 digits, as so commonly found ?

Dom

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK Gents, I'm pleased to report that I've gotten my new I Phone up & running, so can finally begin loading the relevant photos pertaining to my previous Posts. 1st up is my Ma user M-1914, # 123520. This is the example which appears to have been re-barreled some time after April 1940, as it is 'Eagle N' nitro proofed on the new barrel. 'Hopefully', I managed to take viewable photos here, but, be advised this was my first use of the camera. OK, here we go !! THANKS

Best, Dom P.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Wood Office supplies Rectangle Metal Camera accessory
Tool Gas Wood Bicycle part Tints and shades
Air gun Grey Trigger Gun barrel Tints and shades
Hand tool Eyewear Tool Pliers Cable
Writing implement Wood Office supplies Rectangle Automotive exterior
Hand tool Tool Wood Household hardware Automotive exterior
Office supplies Office equipment Writing implement Wood Publication
Brown Rectangle Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Trigger Gas Gun accessory Office equipment Cylinder
Table Trigger Wood Air gun Material property
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gas
Tap Wood Liquid Material property Rectangle
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Wood Everyday carry

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
You are only missing a picture of the Imperial proof mark. The barrel has been replaced post 1940. Also the magazine has been blued. The original finish would have the magazine body in the white. This is why you thought the serial number was applied at the factory. It was not. It was done by a police armor. Regards,

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ooops, I warned you I wasn't familiar with this particular phone !! Give me a few minutes & I'll try to delete the duplicates, OK ? I'm pretty sure the above 2 Proofs are what were missing. As in Crown U & Imperial Military Proof. If I can determine how to delete the duplicate & unreadable photos I will, although I'm not having much luck in doing so ? THANKS 'Mauser 1914' for your assessment, I very much appreciate it !

Dom

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK Gents, I'm pleased to report that I've gotten my new I Phone up & running, so can finally begin loading the relevant photos pertaining to my previous Posts. 1st up is my Ma user M-1914, # 123520. This is the example which appears to have been re-barreled some time after April 1940, as it is 'Eagle N' nitro proofed on the new barrel. 'Hopefully', I managed to take viewable photos here, but, be advised this was my first use of the camera. OK, here we go !! THANKS

Best, Dom P.

View attachment 661207 View attachment 661208 View attachment 661209 View attachment 661210 View attachment 661211 View attachment 661212 View attachment 661213 View attachment 661214 View attachment 661215 View attachment 661216 View attachment 661217 View attachment 661218 View attachment 661219 View attachment 661220

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
THANK YOU '1914 Mauser', very much for you confirmation on this somewhat uncommon little M-1914. So, just to put everything into perspective, would I be correct in the following assumption ? This example, Serial # 123520 was manufactured by Mauser circa 1915 - 1916 under Contract for the Imperial German Army, & served throughout the WW1 era. It's at this point that I begin to lose track of it, as it possesses no Weimar, nor Polizei issues mkgs to lead us forward in its history ? Just based upon your assessment, it was most likely 'updated' by one of the Police Armories where its Magazine was subsequently re-finished
/ Blued, along with having its Magazine Baseplate numbered. [ Could this have possibly been done to ensure the Magazine remained with the weapon during its Barrel replacement ? ] And lastly, who would have been the most likely owner / user of this particular pistol ? Had it been an 'individual purchase' by a WW1 German Officer, & possibly retained by him for use upon his joining one of the Police Forces during the Weimar, or perhaps even during the Nazi era ? An interesting point here is that when purchased, this pistol was accompanied by an pre-1933 / pre-Nazi era, 'D.R.G.M.' marked IWB style concealment holster, which without doubt tends to indicate Police useage, at least IMHO. Of course I truly wish this pistol exhibited some Police mkgs, just to confirm the theory, but sadly it doesn't ! So, whatever else you may be able to share regarding this little Mauser will be deeply appreciated. In your opinion, do you feel my above assumption is feasible, or am I too far off base ? THANKS AGAIN, I look forward to your reply.

Best, Dom P.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
This example, Serial # 123520 was manufactured by Mauser circa 1915 - 1916 under Contract for the Imperial German Army, & served throughout the WW1 era.
Not sure this is right. Having that acceptance mark does not mean a contract, per se.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts