Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
121 - 122 of 122 Posts
There is no “evidence” to support that throughout the history of the Mauser Co. during the period 1871-1945 any variation of deaths heads was applied to standard, factory produced for military issue, pistols, rifles or bayonets.

So I am uncertain where to begin with your comments except with a question.

Based on the “evidence”, as well as your understanding of the history of Mauser Co. and the SS – please clarify why it would be “logical” to find any variation of deaths heads applied to Nazi era, standard, factory produced for military issue, pistols, rifles or bayonets. You specifically mentioned Nazi era P08’s. Given Mauser Co.’s extensive weapons portfolio I wonder why you believe P08’s would be an exception. I look forward to your thoughts as well as “evidence” to support your case.
I don't know how I missed this question in 2016, but my answer is quite logical. I only commented on P 08 markings, because that is what we are talking about- not rifles, not tanks, not hats or badges. I don't know where the idea that "Mauser" or any other manufacturer would have applied the DH came from- not from me for sure. Just to be clear- in this post I'm using Death Head, DH, and lazy S DH to mean the same symbol of a death's head with lazy S above.

You may agree or disagree with the "assumptions" ; if so you may reach a different conclusion.

Assumption 1- The "SS"(not the manufacturer) added the death's head to P 08 pistols for some reason.
Assumption 2- The "SS" existed from 1931 or so to 1945.
Assumption 3- Mauser produced P 08 pistols from 1934 to 1942
Assumption 4- The "reason" for the "SS" to add the DH to their P 08's existed from 1931 to 1945.
Assumption 5- The SS acquired some Mauser P 08s.

Observation - No Mauser produced P 08 pistols have been observed a period applied DH. (Some fake DH markings have been observed and agreed fake).

Conclusion - The "SS" did not apply the DH to Mauser lugers.

It stretches "credulity" to believe that the "SS" only added the DH with lazy S to Imperial lugers(1908-18); any explanation of such would have to be quite obscure.
That DH markings were "added to reworks only" theory fails due to the presence of the DH on non re-worked Imperial P 08s.

I apologize in advance for resurrecting this long, contentious, but very interesting thread!
It has been much too quiet around here. ;)

Of course the entire DH/P08/SS debate can be resolved simply if one "believes" that all DH lugers are fakes!
I personally subscribe to the Freikorps as the likely origin; but have no doubt that many , or most, if not all DH markings on P 08 luger pistols are quite spurious.:cool:

Reactions: Mac Cat
121 - 122 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.