Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
901 Posts
hyrax222, your byf 41 2917 no suffix falls within the serial number and suffix ranges posted on this site-the earliest being 5200n, and latest reported 276b. From the reported examples, E/135 with E/655 mixed inspection marks has been recorded at approximately sn. 4801. The double E/135 inspection receivers noted at about sn. 7478 (2917 moves that up) and continued to the end of production in 1942. As more examples are logged, the overlaps and ranges may be narrowed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks Abzug. The lists posted above are confusing to me as my byf 41, no. 2917 ns, SE/135, SE/135 falls in the first group which are supposedly SE/655,SE/655?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I live in france and i found an old luger P08
It is a byf 41 / serial 951 and on every part : 51. (also a P.08 square dot)
Inside at the front of the lower there is a number and a letter like 7 S
on the right frame : 655 / 655 and eagle.
on the barrel a 951 / 8.83
brown grip ( wood )
I read that the serial should have 4 digit mine have only 3 : 951 ?
Could you help me to understand if it is ok or not and should be the year it born?
Thanks in advance for your help
greetings from Paris

·
Silver Bullet Member
901 Posts
Jerome123, Mauser military P.08 frame factory numbers are (generally) numbered sequentially from serial number 1 through 10,000 with no letter suffix. The sequence is then repeated 1-10,000 "a"suffix, 1-10,000"b" etc (omitting j). 41 byf pistols were produced in the "o" through "b" suffixes. Your byf 41 three digit serial number, was made after the "z" suffix concluded and started again with no suffix. Late production 41's continued scattered through the "a" to "b" suffix letters (with some overlap with the 42 dates).They ended as the 1942 "42" dated pistols began. Your three digit pistol with no letter suffix is correct.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you so much for this very accurate answer !
I m very impress of the knowledge you have on that kind of product ... !
So i m very happy the serial seems correct. This gun very well build !
I wish you a nice week
All my best from Paris Jerome

·
Silver Bullet Member
901 Posts
Jerome, we have the benefit of several excellent books from which to extract information: "Third Reich Lugers-by Still" and "The Mauser Parabellum-by Hallock and van de Kant" are just two. I am glad the information was useful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you I will have a look on thoses Books.
Another questions on the mag i have the serial 4589 build by : schmeisser ( i learn it is a police one year 41 so ...)
I have found another mag but the bottom is a kind of black plastic one it is written P08 and got the letter fox and a kind of eagle and 37 number ...
thanks for all the answers you bring to me
greetings from France
Jerome

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,096 Posts
Jan... Observed 42 BYF 5896k which had coarse brown HK grips. The story is that it is a documented vet bring back and has been in the possession of only the vet until his death and then the gentleman who showed it to me. I could not get the rear toggle pin out and I could not remove the L/H grip. The man who brought it in said he had never tried to take it apart and I think I believe him and the story. The condition of the pistol was very close to 98% and IMO not messed with. So how does a late war pistol end up with coarse brown HK grips ???? I told the man that my opinion was that they were just using up whatever parts they had left and somehow a pair of earlier grips were in the grip bin and they simply used what they had..... I would appreciate thoughts and comments....

·
Owner-Operator
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Dave
"I told the man that my opinion was that they were just using up whatever parts they had left and somehow a pair of earlier grips were in the grip bin and they simply used what they had..... I would appreciate thoughts and comments...."

I agree with your statement. This is the only byf 42 that I know of reported with a brown HK grips.
Jan

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,096 Posts
Jan... Thanks for your comment. It is also the first one that I have seen. I think sometimes it is OK to believe the story if the pistol fits. I am considering including it in the Black Grip study but not sure it belongs. I would welcome your opinion.

·
Owner-Operator
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Dave
Would suggest expanding your study to include brown plastic HK type grips. These are almost all found on 1940 dated Lugers.
Jan

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have aquired a 41/42 variation Luger with the serial numbers 1066 on all parts and two clips and with the cursive letter "O" on the bottom of the magazine. These serial numbers aren't mentioned anywhere. I have attached the photos and would love to know about it. Can anyone help?

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,096 Posts
Linda... Welcome to the Forum. The pictures in your profile show a very nice pistol that is not easy to find. The holster I believe is either from a P-38 or perhaps a Hi Power. Check the back for a P-38 stamping on the top R/H side. There will probably be some stamps between the stamps that will provide the maker and acceptance stamps along with a date.

Pictures of the bottom of the mags would help. Your serial number in the "o" block is correct for this variation.

It is very hard to come across pistols with two original matching mags........

·
Registered
16 Posts
First time poster long time lurker. I recently acquired a 97% byf 41 Luger with black bakelite grips. It is all matching and is in the a block. It came with 2 mags, one a black bottom and the other an aluminum bottom. The black bottom magazine has the same serial number as the pistol and the number 2 on it. The other magazine has the usual markings and the WaA 37 on the aluminum bottom. I always wanted a Luger and when I saw this one, I had to snap it up. Any idea what month the 6000 a block byf 41 Luger would have been produced? Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here are some pics I took awhile ago of the 41 byf that Dave looked at yesterday. The acceptance stamps don't appear to match up with the ranges shown on page 1. Also, Dave said it's from the Z block.

Attachments

·
Registered
707 Posts
Bad weather today so I'm in the safe!! I have a byf 42 with black grips ser# 650i all matching E135 proofs, 2 FXO E37 black bottom mags, came home in a black P.08 holster marked gjh WaA 668 42. Her's my question the tool is marked E655. Could the tool been a carry over from the byf 41 production. Thanks Henri

21 - 40 of 42 Posts