Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first Vickers. I am familiar with the look and the dating proceedure associated w/Indonesian rebuilds. This one has and excellent shiney original look to the finish which is honest 95% w/little thinning on the grip straps, bright bore, some Brit proofs on barrel along w/number 6202. Question is about grips........these are checkered at an extrememy long angle, making the diamonds very long and some what bigger than DWM/Mauser grips. These also have what appears to be a British Broadarrow proof on each panel. There are also some undecipherable markings. Would the Dutch/Indonesians have used a British proof on replacement grips???? Any other comment/sugestions???? Next day now......Grips look exactly like ones on page 297.....I found a set of 12 power jewelers work glasses. Closer examination indicates that these are rechecked grips, as I see indication of old dirty checking on top of some of the new diamonds and some of the lines have a doubled appearance indication a less than professional job. These grips are awfully clean. Would they have rechecked in Java?? I now believe this wood to be walnut. Only markings are the mentioned Broadarrows and letter 'o' and what looks like an amatuerish depiction of a devils pitchfork????????

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Heck
There is a photograph of Vickers, sn 6787, on page 297 of Weimar Lugers. Reportedly the KNIL Armory in Java manufactured the Coarse checkered grips and stamped a GS on the inside. The British were reportedly involved in the initial assembly and proofing of these pistols. (see Weimar Lugers page 291-292,297)
Jan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.