Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
VIS P35
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgotten Weapons mentioned that the Polish workers developed a scene to duplicate one serial number per day and got away with it for some time. Once the Nazi’s discovered it, they hung quite a few Workers and added another waffen stamp and guarded that stamp closely. I don’t know what the stamp looks like so I’m not sure if mine has it or not. I own a very nice VIS with a holster and two magazines that my Father in Law brought home after WWII.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It sounds as if you are referring to the double waffenamt. It is the only "stamp" that I can think of based on your comment. The VIS gun was actually produced in separate locations. The Radom factory produced "kits" of pre-manufactured parts. Their waffenamt acceptance is the E/WaA77 mark. Then the kits were assembled at the Steyr factory which also produced the barrels and a second waffenamt was applied there. The E/623 mark. As the war progressed to prevent theft, individual assembly numbers were added to the unfinished frames and slides. So its possible you are referring to assembly numbers being added in addition to the serial number? I have attached a pic of the two waffenamts.

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
Interestingly enough, it is thought that the Spreewerk p38 factory did something similar for much the same reason. The numbers start showing up somewhere after the first run of 10k pistols were completed, and they were thought to be production control numbers to track the frames. No definitive explanation though.

Black Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Wood

1 - 11 of 11 Posts