Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are there any glaring tip-offs as to weather or not a luger is a vopo rework or not?
I am about to receive my first Luger in a few days and was wanting to know what to look out for as a tell tale sign I have the real thing or an east german re build.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A few things "some" vopo lugers have are: Black plastic grips with a "bull-eyes" about the size of a dime,black plastic grips that have vertical surations (not checkered), a dull parkerized finish, a "Crown proof" on the barrel as well as other places, old numbers that are crossed out and new numbers electrical penciled in their place,"Import markings". Vopo's may have some, all or none of the preceding "tell tail signs".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks for the tips. I was wanting to know if I had a re-work or not and it looks like I don't! great! thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
Hi PPR,

The one thing that all VoPo's seem to share is a new postwar barrel. This barrel can be identified quite easily, as the crown (the thicker area on which the front sight rests) is not smooth like normal lugers, but is roughly cut. The barrels have postwar crown/N stamps as mijc mentioned.

The East-Germans did no effort to disguise the herecy of the parts, so you can find combinations of DWM/Simson/Erfurth/Krieghoff toggles, frames and small parts. These parts are force-matched to the frame, but original stamps are usually still present. I have a VoPo with pre-1918 frame and toggle (imperial eagle on front link), 1936 Mauser receiver and 'fresh' VoPo barrel.

The firing pin is usually the only part that has a roughly etched number.

There are also Lugers from Russian and Hungarian supplies, reworked by some large German gunstores. These are usually better quality than the VoPo's (no noticable service life) and usually have renewed barrels (of old VoPo stock, we're talking about post-1990 reworks) and some have russian capture marks (a stamped cross-mark). These are usually good quality full-dip deep black refinished guns, with aftermarket wooden grips and force-matched VoPo surplus magazines (extruded 02/1001). These guns usually are completely matched, although it's difficult to say if parts have been replaced. Usually small springs are renewed.

VoPo's originally have the bulls-eye brownish grips. The vertical-lined black grips are usually found on Russian/Hungarian pistols, as the Russians stored their captured lugers without grips (dipped in oil drums). When lugers were pressed into service, replacement black grips were added, resembling the grip patterns found on the Tokarev and the Frommer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well according to all the info I have a non rework / non import stamped ,all matching (except for the large toggle cross pin and magazine)1940 mauser manufactured luger with original nice cond walnut grips. it has about 90% original finish with some small touchups in the blueing and a pretty nice bore not too bad for eight bills I guess.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
"The one thing that all VoPo's seem to share is a new postwar barrel."

Most do but some don't have replacement barrels. I have an Erfurt VoPo with the original Erfurt barrel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.