Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I know some of you guys like complete rigs, this one is very hard to find.

The holster is tough to get and locating an East German made spare P.38 mag is almost impossible!

Hope some of you serious photo guys like the improved close ups of the markings. I am now using a new lens which can go 5x. The markings are done at 2x.

Enjoy!

Mark

Download Attachment: CZ46 EG Post.jpg
171.11KB

·
Registered
26 Posts
Superb photos </u>and hard-to-find P38 in equally superb condition! Question: there appears to be a small proof or marking about an inch forward of the safety (the lever is "pointing" at it). What is it? Thanks for sharing another of your fine pistols.
JB

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JB,

These post war guns are the orphaned children of P.38 collecting right now. I think you can equate them to the Weimer Police Lugers and double dates that couldn't be given away a while back. The CZ 46's are priced as "shooters" when you can find them.

I have 5 of these guns and am buying everyone I can get my hands on. Here are a few more, some with peened markings, some with the VOPO stamps or matched mags, a few East German reworks, most all in original condition.

http://www.p38guns.com/CZ46.htm

These guns have an interesting history with only about 3,000 produced.

Warren Buxton in volume 3, page 54, describes the "S" marking on left slide as, "Its meaning was not clear, but it was tentatively identified as the symbol for a branch office of the ordnance/procurement office. Unlike the "E", this "S" was not used on other weapons or equipment..."

I find these guns very collectible since few of the CZ 46's are exactly the same.

Mark

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hi Mark,
* Don't know if I reported this to you before; but, my VOPO accepted CZ46 is S/N'd 1077_ with the unmarked mag body bearing an electro-etched 1077 on the toe.
* Never considered this a "shooter", per se, in the 14 Yrs I've had her. I think this Var. has a promising upside. Warren's Vol.3 was icing on the cake. Besides, she had to keep a bullseye gripped, mixed E/655 + E/135, byf'41 P.08, NS block company when it came to range time. They were the youngsters of the family & needed the most "training" if you'll pardon the pun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.