Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Presented here is a Walther PPK .22 caliber (5.25) that I just recently acquired and finally got around to snapping some pictures of this afternoon. These .22 caliber PPKs came both Crown N (C/N) proofed and with the Nazi commercial proof Eagle N (E/N). The .22 caliber PPKs were usually proofed stamped (C/N or E/N) on the right side of slide behind slide ejection port and above extractor, right side of barrel chamber/hood and at the right side of barrel near the muzzle. According to Rankin (Walther models PP and PPK 1929-1945 page 70) C/N proofs were in the serial range 775,000--242000K and the E/N proofed PPKs were in the range 262,000K--431000K range. I have a C/N proofed .22 PPK in the serial range 231xxxK range and this E/N specimen is serial number 343835K. Whittington in his book “German Pistols and Holsters 1934-1945 Volume II (revised)” page 301 indicates 4,100 Walther PPKs commercial finish in .22 LR produced in the range of 175000K--359000K--this includes both C/N and E/N proofed pistols. Rankin indicates very few .22 PPKs with E/N proof were produced with the exception of 1,000 at the very end of the war starting at serial number 430000. These were all of very high quality and finish unlike the typical late war Walther PP and PPK military finish pieces. This .22 PPK presented here is in very excellent condition (98%) with just the ever so slight loss of blue on some high edges and the left grip is very slightly cracked around grip screw head. The safety lever on the left side still exhibits most of its razor blue finish. Anyone have any information on the number of E/N .22 PPKs produced? I would speculate probably not more than a couple of thousand but that is just a guess. Any input or comments are greatly appreciated! THANKS! Lloyd in Vegas
Download Attachment: Walther PPK .22 Left Side.jpg
84.63KB
Download Attachment: Walther PPK .22 Right Side.jpg
83.91KB
Download Attachment: Walther PPK .22 Right Side Slide Open.jpg
76.23KB

· Registered
228 Posts
Lloyd:
I know you are a avid collector as I am and would want the weapon to be correct in every respect.The grips on this ppk should have the screw head on the right side, not the left.At sometime in the past the grips were replaced as the screw going into the left side was changed around the time the 90 degree safety was.I think that was 1936.I just thought you,d like to know and that your ppk is a really nice one.Regards Danny

· Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Danny,

Thanks for the "heads up" on the PPK grips. Something about the grips did not seem right but I could not put my finger on it. I will have to see if I can find the right grips for it. Appreciate your input and your good eye! Best, Lloyd in Vegas

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Lloyd,
Congratulations on your new piece of jewelry.
I think, the grip screw question is only a question of time and no problem for you.
Yes, these E/N 22s are very rare birds special in this outstanding shape.
When collecting we think apparently almost like twins because you have the same philosophy of collecting as me.

Fritz

· Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gentlemen, THANKS for your kind remarks and input on my new .22 PPK find. Thanks to Danny, I was scrounging around in my extra parts box and found a correct set of grips for this .22 PPK. I have attached a couple of pictures of my two .22 PPKs. The earlier one is on top and the more recent one the subject of this discussion is on the bottom.
Download Attachment: Two PPKs Left Side.jpg
93.28KB
Download Attachment: Two PPKs Right Side.jpg
95.43KB
Download Attachment: Las Vegas Spring is here.jpg
99.39KB
The summers are miserable at times but Las Vegas, NV in the winter is absolutley choice at times. This is looking out a front window at my home. It looks like spring is here--a pleasant 60 degrees and the wild flowers are celebrating! Couldn't resist sharing this with you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.