Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been offered these two pistols for $800 for the pair. I need comments as to if it's a good deal or not? I usually collect Lugers, but have a weak spot for old clean Walther pistols.

Model 8 only wear evident is on the sharp edges and a spot on the muzzle. It is crown N proofed.

Download Attachment: model 8a.jpg
59.08KB

Grip straps are mint! Gun, shows even red patina under strong light.

Download Attachment: model 8b.jpg
59.52KB

Walther Model 4 Commercially Crown N proofed as well as stamped "Made in Germany". There is a halo around the stamp.
Download Attachment: model 4a.jpg
76.98KB

Slide legend looks light, but original. Gun shows light holster wear at muzzle only. Front and rear grip straps are mint. Show even reddish patina under strong light.
Download Attachment: model 4b.jpg
64.33KB

·
Registered
833 Posts
Doug,

I think the price for both is certainly in the "ball park". What you have are two very nice condition late model variations within their respective model designation Walthers.

The Model 4 you are considering is a fifth or final variation of this model the most noteable easily recongizeable characteristic being the 16 (sixteen) slide serrations and no external trigger bar. There were about 275,000 of these made with around 75,000 going to the military. It was Walther's first real successful design.

I have Model 4 second (2nd) variation but in not as nice condition as the one you are considering that I paid $275 for about a year ago.

The Model 8 is my favorite pre PPK/PP Walther model. It is a very elegant little pocket pistol that exhibits extraordinary craftsmanship and exceptional fit and finish. It was extremely well recieved and over 365,000 were manufactured over a twentyfive year period 1920-1945. The one you are considering buying is what looks to be an excellent condition 3rd and final variation--serial 715,000 to approx. serial 750,000 and then a final 10,000 with a A suffix. Most noteable characteristic of this variation is the ABSENCE of the dissasembly lever/button on the right front trigger guard. This is in my opinion a very significant and historic model because of the impact it had on the forthcoming new generation Walther semi automatic pistols PP & PPK.

I have a Model 8 that is a second variation model that is in near excellent condition (99%) that I paid $475 for about three years ago.

I think I would offer less but still $800 isn't bad but not an exceptional buy for these late model variations. You see these Walther models a lot but rarely in real high grade. There condition from what I can see I think makes pursuing them something I would do. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to Bayard and Lloyd for your input. I ended up buying them for $650. Maybe not a steal, but the same guy sold me a mint byf 43, and a Eagle C proofed byf P-38 for $800!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to Bayard and Lloyd for your input. I ended up buying them for $650. Maybe not a steal, but the same guy sold me a mint byf 43, and a Eagle C proofed byf P-38 for $800!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts