Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Army Issued Walther PP. Ive tried two different magazines and the problem still accures. The Pistol cycles fine. Ejects brass just fine. The issue is when it picks up another round, the hammer drops and does not stay cocked. It does stay cocked maybe once out of a full mag if i get lucky. Ive cleaned it. Got all the grud from all the tiny spots. Im thinking about a wolf spring upgrade kit but i want a second opinion first. the ammo im using Fiochi 73gr 7.65mm. I can take the magazine out, Recock the hammer and push up on it to try and get it to drop and no issues have accured. So idk if its a Hammer issue, a Spring issue or a Ammo Issue.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
3,560 Posts
C,
Try putting 4 or 5 dummy rounds in the magazine. Pull the slide fully back against the stop and let it fly forward. If it stay cocked, you may have an ammo problem.
If it does not stay cocked, the hammer notch may be warren, or the sear may have a burr on it.
Pat

Reactions: Edward Tinker

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didnt have any dummy rounds but i did try with live ammo pointed down range safely and the hammer stays back manually cycleing it. Wonder if its the ammo then.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I see that the first thing I suspect is the sear spring. Next up, would be a worn sear, or sear shelf on the hammer.

Start with the spring kit, but make sure you get a new sear spring. If that doesn't work, then you'll probably need an actual gunsmith to sort out the sear/hammer relationship.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
3,560 Posts
I'd try different ammo. German Pistols like a little hotter ammo than most guns. See if you can find some Remington or Winchester ammo and give it a try. It may save you find springs and tearing the gun all apart.
Pat

Reactions: Rtop01

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
When I see that the first thing I suspect is the sear spring. Next up, would be a worn sear, or sear shelf on the hammer.

Start with the spring kit, but make sure you get a new sear spring. If that doesn't work, then you'll probably need an actual gunsmith to sort out the sear/hammer relationship.
what he said.

·
2,468 Posts
Many times late war parts were not heat treated properly and would wear faster than normal. It could very well be the sear spring or the sear, but it could also be the fault of the hammer. I had a PPK, late war, years ago with the same problem except it went full auto because of the sear spring and sear. Be careful, JIM

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

^ Do this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a PPK that had a similar problem, it was an issue with the sear on my gun, the surface that mates to the hammer

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Most shortcomings with this quality a gun can be traced to the ammunition. Seems the trend for these past many years is to download.....particularly for American made pistols.

PJH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts