Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the online catalog of an auction house for an upcoming sale. I noticed some pistols which are not common. I have made copies of the pictures of the pistol that are going to be auctioned, together with the text that went with each pistol. This text gives a description and condition of the weapon.

It is not my intention to hype the auction, but rather to post the pictures and information on these pistols so that it will be available in the future. So often, examples such as these are acquired and then taken home and put in the gun room or safe, not to surface again for public viewing for many years. In this instance, these pistols will sell, probably for sums which many here cannot afford. Then they will be taken home and stored, not to be seen again until the new buyer dies or needs money. If this does not occur, then we will be able to get better pictures. If it does occur, then the pictures and data will be available for us common folk to see and dream about.

(Hopefully I will have these in the proper categories. If my posting this information offends, then please delete same.)

Walther Prototype "Hi-Power" 9 MM Semi-Automatic Pistol

Serial Number: NSN (No Serial Number)
Manufacturer: Walther
Model: Hi-Power Prototype
Type: pistol
Gauge: 9 mm
Barrel Length: 4-3/4 inch round
Finish: blue
Grip: walnut

Description: Unique Walther Prototype "Hi-Power" 9 MM Semi-Automatic Pistol A unique example of a late World War II Walther Hi-Power prototype pistol. This pistol is illustrated on page 105 of "WALTHER VOLUME III" by James L. Rankin. This pistol was apparently designed as a possible replacement for the P38 pistol. The pistol is double-action with a decocking lever/safety located on the left side of the frame behind the trigger. The pistol features a mixture of stamped and machined parts and is fitted with two piece, checkered walnut grips. The pistol apparently is similar mechanically to the Walther sheet metal prototype pistol. However, the Hi-Power is far more substantial and finely finished in all respects. The components have a dull military blue finish. The slide has milled lightning cuts along the lower sides and behind the ejection port. The prominent Walther banner is located on the left side of the slide opposite the ejection port. The top of the slide has a serial signing rib fitted with a high profile rear sight. The frame has a stamped lanyard loop on the left side. The magazine release is on the heel of the grip. The pistol accepts a standard P38 magazine. Although the pistol incorporates a number of stamped components it appears to have been designed as a product improvement for the P38 rather than a simplified "last ditch" weapon. The pistol is not serial numbered and, undoubtedly, in a nearly unique example of Walther's evolutionary World War II pistol development.

Condition: Excellent. The pistol has at least 95% of the original war time blue finish intact. The high points of the slide and recoil spring housing show some moderate finish wear. The finish on the grip straps and bottom of the trigger guard has lightened somewhat from handling but is excellent. Grips are very fine to excellent with moderate handling wear. The bore is excellent.

Download Attachment: GGG478-LEFT.gif
84.75KB

Download Attachment: GGG478-RIGHT.gif
67.22KB

Download Attachment: GGG478-SCU.gif
155.73KB

Download Attachment: GGG478-SCU2.gif
126.86KB

Download Attachment: GGG478-SCU4.gif
95.22KB

·
Registered
90 Posts
Charlie,

Very interesting and informative, but as you noted in your post above, I'm afraid that pieces of this rarity are way beyond my means. But it's still nice to see pictures of them!

Incidentally, I just bought a digital camera, and as soon as I can read and understand the instructions, I'll try posting some photos on the forum.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.