Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
ALSO please note the 12/65 which tends to put in dispute comments made in post 22.
Nope. You are referring to a drilling, not a shotgun. The Luftwaffe drillings were chambered in 12/65 (2 9/16"), while the Luftwaffe shotguns only were chambered in 12/70 (2 3/4").

Regards

Martin

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nope. You are referring to a drilling, not a shotgun. The Luftwaffe drillings were chambered in 12/65 (2 9/16"), while the Luftwaffe shotguns only were chambered in 12/70 (2 3/4").

Regards

Martin
Why did they use the 12/65 chamber in the Luftwaffe drilling and not the 12/70 that was used in the Luftwaffe shoutguns ? You would think it would have simplified the ammo purchasing to use one length shell. Sauer could have made the M30 Luftwaffe drilling in the 12/70 (2 3/4'') to match the Luftwaffe's over and under guns .

·
2,360 Posts
One very good reason is that the production of the Model 30 Drilling for the Luftwaffe was a much larger quantity than the over/under shotguns. The Drilling was designed as a survival gun for the Luftwaffe, and the over/under guns were used to train Luftwaffe personnel to lead targets while flying in an aircraft or on the ground. Two different purposes entirely! I have more than 100 Luftwaffe Model 30s in my database, while I have 11 of the over/under guns made by different companies like Merkel, Sauer and BSW. Sauer must have been responsible for putting the Drillings and accessories in their individual aluminum boxes as they all are very much the same except for two different types of boxed cleaning tools that have been noted. We are all living in a world of fakes (firearms), so the better we can educate ourselves the more it will be to our advantage not to get "taken."

41 - 43 of 43 Posts