Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what appears to be this revolver, but 2 details regarding it have put a question mark in my mind. First the details;

Webley & Scott Mark VI.
Serial No: 455200?
Barrel elngth: 4 inches?
Calibre: .455 (But I shoot .45 ACP with half-moon clips & .45 Auto-Rim in it.)
6 shot top break-blue finish-fixed sights
Markings; All proper (see photos)
Back of Right Grip Panel: Reversed 12
Back of Left grip panel: Reversed 2

Ned Schwing's Standard Catalog of Military Firearms - 2nd edition - list the Mark VI as having a 6" barrel, no mention of 4". Introduced in 1915 and replaced in 1928.

S.P. Fjestad's Blue Book-2004 edition, lists the Mark VI with 6" barrel, no mention of 4". Serial No. Range 214,000 - 445,999. Mfg. 1915-1919

It also show's Mark VI (LATER MFG.) 6" Barrel, no mention of 4",
Serial No Range: 450,000-454,000. Mfg. by Enfield circa 1922-1935.

As you can see my revolver does not seem to fit, with regards to serial no. & barrel length, yet it is clearly marked as Mark VI.
and the barrel has not been cut down.

Can anyone provide info on these 2 points?

Download Attachment: Pictures - 18th. 005.jpg
125.37 KB

Download Attachment: Pictures - 18th. 006.jpg
126.62 KB

Download Attachment: Pictures - 18th. 007.jpg
128.88 KB

Download Attachment: Pictures - 18th. 008.jpg
135.18 KB

Download Attachment: Pictures - 18th. 009.jpg
131.49 KB

Download Attachment: Pictures - 18th. 010.jpg
136.78 KB

Download Attachment: Pictures - 18th. 011.jpg
127.71 KB

Download Attachment: Pictures - 18th. 012.jpg
129.55 KB

· Registered
861 Posts
Walter,
OK, I will try to take a stab at it. First, are there any military markings on your revolver? It does appear to be comercial revolver. According to Gordon Bruce and Christian Reinhart's "Webley Revolvers" book, yours is at the end of MK IV production about 1939. The highest seen in 1988 (printing) is serial number 455231. Yours is late.
The drift adjust front sight is odd, maybe a later addition or special request like your trigger face surface. After reading their book, I learned that Webley made a lot of odd revolvers in small batches or to order. Some were also assembled from parts at the factory.
I am as confused as you are, but the book shows anything could happen.
I hope this helps you a little, Dean

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dean;

I assume you mean at the end of MK VI production, not MK IV.

As to Military marks, I have no idea. Is not the Flamimg Bomb on the left side of the frame, above the trigger, a military mark?

There are also marks in the form of an X under the Calibre designation on the left side of the frame in front of the cynlinder. Would these be military? They are hard to read & I can't make them out.

What about all the Crown over letter marks on the cylinder. There are 3 different letter combinations there. Are these military? Crown over NP being one & it's repeated twice.

At least it appears that I have a real W&S Revolver!

· Registered
403 Posts
quote:Originally posted by BJD SASS 2548LTG

Dean;

I assume you mean at the end of MK VI production, not MK IV.

As to Military marks, I have no idea. Is not the Flamimg Bomb on the left side of the frame, above the trigger, a military mark?

There are also marks in the form of an X under the Calibre designation on the left side of the frame in front of the cynlinder. Would these be military? They are hard to read & I can't make them out.

What about all the Crown over letter marks on the cylinder. There are 3 different letter combinations there. Are these military? Crown over NP being one & it's repeated twice.

At least it appears that I have a real W&S Revolver!
Hello Walter
In the book "Webley Revolvers" by Bruce & Reinhart there is a photo on page 209 of a Mark VI similar to yours. The caption reads " A late example, in which a Mark VI frame has been fitted with a Mark V 4" barrel S.N. 452293

Download Attachment: xxx.jpg
35.32KB

· Registered
861 Posts
Walther,
Is there any type of Broad Arrow military acceptance stamp? The "flaming bomb" you mention may be the Webley and Scott Winged Bullet trade mark. Not the same as our Flaming Bomb. The X could be two of the Broad Arrow stamps tip to tip. That would mean this revolver was "sold out of service". As I understand it, bought by a Soldier/Officer as a side arm from the "company store". The Crown over the NP is a Nitro Proof mark, some were added later as the laws changed.
Dean

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dean / Ed;

Thanks for your input. Here's what I found in looking at this revolver again;

Flying Bomb with W.S. - Right!

Front Sight: It appears that the top rounded part of the original sight has been cut off as the exposed metal is unblued. The drift adjustable sight is in the white & is narrow with a bead at the rear.
The alteration is not that good, but it's not really crude, if you know what I mean. I tried to photo it, but my camera flash kept wiping out the picture & my manual doesn't say how to turn the flash off.
I can't believe it would have left the factory in that condition. That being the case, I guess it would be O.K. to cold blue the exposed parts, except the blade/bead, as it actually shows up pretty good?

Cylinder: At the rear of each flute are the following marks, in this order: C over NP - C over BV - C over BP and this is repeated for the other 3 chambers. Is this standard?

The "X" marks consists of what appears to be 2 crosses/x's sperated by a dot on the top. Underneath in a smiling curve is :F seprated by a pointed bullet? leaning right - 3 sperated by a pointd bullet? leaning left - B . I'm attaching a picture which is blurry, but I just can't get it any clearer, hoping you'll see what I mean.

I'm not too bothered by the sight work as the revolver only cost me $90.00 and it does shoot pretty good.

Download Attachment: Pictures - 18th. 016.jpg
121.52KB

G

·
hi,I am a Webley fan all my life.I have 2 mkVI's & A 4"MKV ..I lean toward yours being made up Of a mkV top end.your "markVI" lettering looks almost hand done.mine is obviously stamped.the mkV barrels were proofed for modern powder,so this pistol makes an ideal user,yours will prove balanced better than the birds head grip of the mkV.my mkV birds head grip was modified to a "bisley" configuration,& has walnut scales-making it an ideal pocket cannon.I also recomend full moon clips.a webley will never let you down!

· Silver Bullet Member
1,704 Posts
Walter,
Is the rear of your cylinder in the white? Mine is and was so altered by turnig down a few thousnds so that you could fire 45acp with half moon clips. If it wasn't turned down, the thickness of the .45 plus the clip, would not allow the cylinder to turn. The letters/crown/NP on top of each cylinder is the British method of marking each cylinder as it is proved. A very neat, interesting revolver!!

Dave

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Crazig;

The 'MARK VI' stamping matches all the stamped markings on the rest of the revolver.

Olefogey;

The rear of the cylinder is not in the white, but has a black finish with white streaks. It works fine with half-moon clips with .45 ACP - .45 Auto Rim - .45 Long Colt if the bullets are seated deep enough.

If you look at picture #7 of my posting, you can see what the front sight looks like. Would it have left the factory like this or is it a crude modification?

G

·
A number of .455 webley Mk6's were ordered by the South African Police with the proviso that they have 4" barrels. I will endvour to find out more about these. The winged bullet is a Webley trade mark and the X might well be a sold out of service mark. Thegrips are interesting as they are noy standard on a military Mk6 webley. You are more likely to encounter these on a .380 Webley Mk4. I think that this is not a military Webley but might be a police issue revolver.

G

·
The "Mark VI' stamp was obviously added later at the same time as the export marking "made in England" on the other side. Note the guide scratch marks for stamp alignment above and below both stamps. The frame and cylinder are just as obviously military issue by the marks, so this must have been put together with the shorter barrel for USA sale, A large number of Webleys of various types were sent over here in the '50s with short barrels, some swaps off other marks, some cut down (rather obviously) and others cut and resighted with the original ramps replaced, a much more expensive method.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.