Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Webley WG find

917 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  martin08 
#1 ·
Picked up this Webley WG today and have some questions about it I’m hoping you guys can answer. Does the finish look original? From what I’ve seen online, they came in a very high luster commercial bluing, while mine looks relatively flat. I do see wear in the finish though and no signs of polishing. What is the consensus? I have 1200 in this gun so I want to make sure it’s right...

See less See more
#3 ·
I posted a full set of pictures over on the Military Handgun Forum at Gunboards for comparison.

But the more I look at your gun, the less I believe that the finish is original. Here are some of the pictures I posted with the stamps in the metal. The stamps on my example all cut through the bluing. All of the stamps on your gun have bluing inside the lettering and numbers.

But please don't take my observation as the final word. I do NOT have much experience with these. Perhaps later guns had bluing done after stamping? I don't know.

Also, only around 22,000 of this model was ever produced. At $1,200, it really sounds fair, even if an arsenal refinish has been done.

If you want to get the best feedback, I would suggest posting it where the best experts will see it. They will let you know the details over on the Weapons of the British Commonwealth Forum.

Link - https://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?56-Weapons-of-the-British-Commonwealth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.