Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jan, or anyone knowledgable...
I just purchased a 1921 Weimar Reichsheer Luger unit marked 2/R.R.4.46. Which translates to 2nd / Reiter. Regiment.4th Eskadron. weapon # 46.
In my studies I have discovered that Kavalry units existed simultaneously with Reiter units. This leads me to think that, although Reiter translates to Rider, that Reiter units were actually mounted infantry. Similar to Light-Horse. Does anyone know if this is correct? Or is my head whistling again.

Thanks, Ron

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Ron
The Imperial German Cavalry had a variety of traditional names (see list below), however they are all cavalry. Reiter is defined as horseman or rider. The cavalry regiments listed below were all divided into eskadrons. Eskadrons are defined as a company of cavalry (Gortz page 144). The Dragoons were once considered mounted infanty. However, during World War I, they were armed with a lance like all the other cavalry. In his book “German Handguns 1879-1918 Walter considers the Bavarian Reiter regiments as cavalry.

IMPERIAL GERMAN CAVALRY REGIMENTS
DRAGOON
ULANEN
HUSSAR
KURASSIER
JÄGER ZU PFERDE
CHEVAULEGER
SCHWERE REITER REG BAVARIAN
SCHWERE REITER REG PRUSSIAN
KARABINER REG.

I also have a 1921 DWM marked to a cavalry unit: sn1477a, marked A/R.R.4.22. signifies: Ausbildungs-Eskadron of 4 Reiter Regiment : translates to Training Eskadron of a Reiter (cavalry) Regiment.
It would be interesting to see photographs of your Luger. What is the serial number?
Jan

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jan, Thanks for the information. The only photos I have are the sellers. Which are not very good quality. I will post photos and a complete ser# here when it arrives.
Thanks again, Ron

Jan, Just got the Serial number. # 4884a

Ron

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
Ron, with the demise of the empire, the German army dropped all of the traditional(historical) cavalry designations but they did retain cavalry units which they designated as Reiter Regimenten as opposed to the "imperial" Kavalrie which was of french origin (talkin' word origin here).

I have an early Third Reich Krug or stein that seems to well illustrate the change in terminology. it is marked "UNTFFZ.KORPS (ehem.2.(KATZLER)ULANEN) 4./R.R.8". It seems that they retained the historical or honorary designation as Uhlans but were, in fact, just bread and butter cavalry.

Cool stein. Pewter lid with a 1916 steel helmet with double decals.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Geo, I kind of gathered that. I thought maybe after the Weimar Period started they changed to the more generic "Reiter" term. However, I noticed that Goertz mentions both, Kavalrie and Reiter units in the Weimar markings section. So I thought maybe the term Reiter, may indicate mounted infantry. For example;to differentiate between "Riders" and "Grunts". Geo, Don't get me started on steins now. I'm already getting hooked on buckles, matchbox covers and Regimental photos. And I'm talking to a guy about Jaeger Shako. We do'need no stinking steins!!

Thanks, Ron

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,331 Posts
Ca'mon Ron, your going to need a stein or two to drink beer, get drunk and forget about all the stuff you been buyin! Jerry

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jerry, I would have to take out a loan to pay for the beer. I had to to sell a scarce variation P.38 rig to buy this Luger. I hope I'm not going to regret doing so. The seller keeps reassuring me that it's much better than it appears in the photos. Photos usually make the warts stand out. If it turns out to be a toad. It's going back, rapido. And now the P.38s gone.
So then, SOMEONE could send be a me a nice Navy(that was bamboozled out of some poor frustrated seller) to ease my sorrow. ;D

Ron

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Ron
Some photographs of a Reiter-Regiment (number 2) during the Weimar Era (From the World War I History of Ulanen Regiment 4).
(2/R.R.4.46. Which translates to 4th Reiter Regiment, 2nd Eskadron. weapon # 46.)
Jan

Download Attachment: RR2FR.jpg
109.8KB

Download Attachment: RR2FR1.jpg
69.68KB

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Ron
These are from "Kurzer Uberblick des Schwern Reserve-Reitre-Regts. Nr. 3" 1929 attached to; Ulanen Regt. Nr. 4 in Weltkrieg. Both are World War I battle histories that include some Weimar photographs..

Jan

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jan, No doubt out of print? I appreciate the information. I wish I could locate more information on Weimar units. Also some specifically related to Jäger units. Thanks for posting, and sending me the larger photos. I will print them off.

Ron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.