Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm a newbie. A good friend of mine gave me this holster. He's a WWII vet who was in the 7th. Armored Division at the Battle of the Bulge. Can anyone advise me on how to preserve the leather ? Also, is the pin original to the holster ? Thanks, Rick

Download Attachment: Holster 2 copy.jpg
61.22KB

Download Attachment: Holster back copy.jpg
63.78KB

Download Attachment: Holster markings 2 copy.jpg
59.07KB

Download Attachment: Holster Pin copy.jpg
62.32KB

Download Attachment: Holster markings copy.jpg
66.79KB

· Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,460 Posts
Rick,Welcome to the Forum!

You should be able to care for this yourself. I would gently blow and dust and debris off of it. Take a soft toothbrush and gently work what's left out of the nooks and crannies, thread lines etc. Once all the loose dirt is off take some saddle soap with as little water as you can and gently begin to clean it up using a clean lint free cotton cloth. When this is completely dry, I use a leather treatment called Connoly's Hide Food. This is used on Jaguar and Roll's Royce leather automobile seats. I put this on lightly and it should be as good as it is ever going to get. Do not use any oils on the holster. Like Neats foot oil. This will irreprably harm it!

It may never come back to a soft supple condition. If it has dried hard it will stay that way.

Your holster seems to be in pretty good shape.
No, The pin is an add on by whoever captured the holster. It was against German regulations to adorn their holsters with pins.

Happy hunting! Jerry Burney

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the advise. Being new to the Luger world I appreciate your sharing your knowledge with me. ..Rick

· Platinum Bullet member
6,534 Posts
Rick, your local Rolls Royce Dealer will have it. If he isn't close enough to make it convenient shopping, go to autogeek.com.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, after they wouldn’t let me park my rusty old pick-up at the Rolls-Royce dealer, I went to my local car boutique and scored a jar of Hide Food. It says it’s for a Bently so I figured it was good enough. I must say it did a great job on the holster. What do you guys think ? ...Rick

Download Attachment: HideFoodHolster copy.jpg
40.4KB

Download Attachment: HideFood copy.jpg
24.77KB

Download Attachment: INholster copy.jpg
39.79KB

· Registered
101 Posts
Originally posted by panman

Well, after they wouldn’t let me park my rusty old pick-up at the Rolls-Royce dealer, I went to my local car boutique and scored a jar of Hide Food. It says it’s for a Bently so I figured it was good enough. I must say it did a great job on the holster. What do you guys think ? ...Rick

Are you sure you appled the stuff only to the outside finished surfaces of the holster? Most 1940's luger holsters should have a whitish unfinished appearance--the photo makes it look like it is dark and oiled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.