Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked this up for christmas gift for my wife, she always wanted one.
my local shop says Mauser 1936 with a 42 toggle and maybe a forced number
look like non oem grips
thanks so much for your ex
pertise on our first luger

Attachments

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Your 1936 Luger was made by Mauser. After the end of the war, it was reworked by the East Germans for use by their Volkspolizei, also known as the Vopo or "People's Police". The front toggle - the one that has the 42 on it - is not original to the gun and the barrel appears to have been replaced with a new EG made one. The "bullseye" grips are also EG replacements. The magazine may be original but I'll let someone more familiar with them comment on that. The + on the magazine identifies it as a spare or second magazine issued with the pistol and is a military mag. Police mags were identified with the numbers 1 & 2 with 2 being the spare.

While not as desirable as a fully matching military Luger, the East German reworks are becoming more collectable as time passes and they are generally excellent shooters as well. There is a lot of history in your Luger and your wife should be very pleased. I'd be happy to own it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
omg thanks so much. My wife loves collecting and this may be the start of a long fall down the rabbit hole when I start sharing this kind of information with her.
cheers and thanks again

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
3,811 Posts
I believe the barrel is original as it has the eagle/63 at the 11 o-clock position and the correct firing proof at the 3 o-clock position.
Pat
Gas Cylinder Wood Gun accessory Tints and shades
Bicycle part Cylinder Material property Rim Gas

·
Administrator
14,061 Posts
that is an excellent start for a collection. My 2nd luger was a 1940 / 42 - but was totally mismatched, top matched and bottom matched, but not each other :)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I believe the barrel is original as it has the eagle/63 at the 11 o-clock position and the correct firing proof at the 3 o-clock position.
Now that I can see part of the serial number, I agree that it's the original barrel. In your original pictures I couldn't make out a serial number... or I missed it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Your 1936 Luger was made by Mauser. After the end of the war, it was reworked by the East Germans for use by their Volkspolizei, also known as the Vopo or "People's Police". The front toggle - the one that has the 42 on it - is not original to the gun and the barrel appears to have been replaced with a new EG made one. The "bullseye" grips are also EG replacements. The magazine may be original but I'll let someone more familiar with them comment on that. The + on the magazine identifies it as a spare or second magazine issued with the pistol and is a military mag. Police mags were identified with the numbers 1 & 2 with 2 being the spare.

While not as desirable as a fully matching military Luger, the East German reworks are becoming more collectable as time passes and they are generally excellent shooters as well. There is a lot of history in your Luger and your wife should be very pleased. I'd be happy to own it.
Household hardware Gas Metal Auto part Wood

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
3,811 Posts
I believe the mark you show, in the last two posts, is an importer's mark.
Pat

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
The inscription on the underside of the barrel is the import marking for Century Arms, Inc. of Saint Albans, VT. The "X" may be a Russian mark that they used to indicate a captured weapon. The East Germans obtained the Lugers from Russian stockpiles of captured weapons for use by the Vopo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The inscription on the underside of the barrel is the import marking for Century Arms, Inc. of Saint Albans, VT. The "X" may be a Russian mark that they used to indicate a captured weapon. The East Germans obtained the Lugers from Russian stockpiles of captured weapons for use by the Vopo.
thank you I think you have explained the time line from Mauser to Sacramento
cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I want to thank everyone but I forgot to ask about shooting. I bought this for 1100 with the intention that it would be a shooter. Do you have any cautions or advise regarding putting a couple of clips through. I have a variety of 9mm ammo. Cheers
martin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
not hot, not +P - just good old winchester white box or equivalent
Since this is a new gun to me I am wondering if there is anything I should do to prepare for the first time on the range. I have handled the gun and magazine and worked the action (which seems very stiff). I am cautious enough that I intend to load only one cartridge at a time at first just to see about ejection and feeding.
I have viewed YouTube about field stripping. Do I need a luger tool?
thanks again for advise

·
Administrator
14,061 Posts
I almost never use a loading tool and I carry one on my key rings.
You can get one more round in if you use a tool.
General advice on shooting lugers - if rare or valuable, don't shoot - if you do shoot, replace grips and some other things.
But its up to you, I have a couple of shooters.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also found online from some sore of data collector this quote about importer
CENTURY ARMS INC ST. ALBANS, VT. left side of barrel between stock and front sight. I found that the ATF did not require import marks until 1986 and that Century Arms moved from St. Albans in 2002, so it was imported some time in that period.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts