Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm definitely a new member. I've been handling guns my whole life. But I've never owned a vintage gun. I'm looking to get into a WWII Luger (or 2 haha). I am a fan of amazing machinery and the skill it takes to do it. And obviously the Luger design and execution fits the bill. I'm looking to get something in great shape that's collectible. Not really a shooter. So I'm going to be spending 1-3K most likely. I have been reading and studying for the last month or two.

My question is, since I'm new to the Luger world, what do you guys think the prices have been doing in the last year or so? Are we on an upswing? Just trying to get some insight as this is kind of an investment and and investment in History. I don't plan on selling it. I just have no idea about the market/Prices as I haven't been paying attention to it at all, till recently. I know some of you have been doing this a long time.

Thanks))

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
Hey Carl, welcome to the group.

I would encourage you to do a lot of reading, there are some good books by Jan Still and Gortz/Sturgess that can seem costly (hundreds of $), but can save you far more than that in the long run.

I don't know much about WWII Lugers, but will say that the Luger was in its heyday before and during WWI (manufactured by DWM), so don't neglect to investigate guns of that era. By WWII, it was still being manufactured by Mauser but was on its way out in favor of the P-38 IMHO. A Luger "in great shape" from any era is likely to cost you $2K and up, and you likely might not want to shoot it for fear of breaking matching parts, so don't neglect the opportunity to check out a shooter in the range of $800-$1K if you like to shoot.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
I would say today's market is soft in price for average pistols, overwhelmed by numbers of average(and below) pistols; but really nice good or scarce items still go quickly and at relatively steady prices.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I agree with Don. Lower end pieces are soft and higher end pieces are in steady demand. It seems to be a seller's market for the really nice stuff.
Tim H.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
If you really want a collector piece that will most likely hold it's historical value and maybe over time even increase it's value, I would recommend an Imperial WWI Luger, like Ron Wood I believe anything after 1918 is a reproduction. Some of my guns have been refinished, because they were in bad shape. I don't disturb an original Luger that is in good original condition. A lot of collectors don't agree with me and would never touch a Luger that has been re-blued or refinished regardless how bad a shape it's in. It's a big world and there's a ton of original finish Lugers to satisfy your taste if that's what you want to collect. Obviously a Luger that has had anything done to it to affect the original finish does not have the value of a good original Luger, having said that, I like shiney guns which in the eyes of many makes me a outcast. Collect what you like, it's your money, collecting Lugers is not a cheap hobby and there a lot of fakes out there but they are usually confined to the more desirable and expensive Lugers. I have original and refinished Lugers in my collection and I love them all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am by no means an expert, but I would be happy to offer my humble opinion as well. I must reiterate, buying quality resource books will save you in the long run. I also must argue that these resource books allow us to appreciate these beautiful samples of machinery and history to a much fuller extent. As a kid, I was told by dealer David Rachwal to buy Lugers at Random, and read it cover to cover and then do it again before buying. Dave was right, but by the time I was ready to buy my first luger, I knew I wanted to focus on WWII era mauser produced lugers (still broad in some peoples’ books), and I may become more specific later on. I do focus on examples with veteran provenance and capture papers.

Anyways, WWI era lugers are still fantastic luger examples and generally (and this is a big GENERALLY), cheaper than their nazi produced siblings. In the few years I have collected, I have noticed middle of the road grade and lesser examples have somewhat stagnant price ranges. However, as stated above, the high collector quality and beautiful condition examples seem to still bring very strong and rising prices. I suppose this is the nature of the beast, if you invest in a high quality firearm now, it likely will only continue to increase in value in the future.

Again, I am by no means an expert at all, however the good news is, there are plenty of well read and well experienced collectors here on the site with endless amounts of great and useful information. Do yourself a favor and check out handgunsoftheworld.com, he is who I have dealt with in the past, and actually the man who got me hooked on lugers. When I was a 13 year old kid, he took time out of a busy OGCA show to show me some beautiful examples he had at the show, allowing me to handle them, and teaching me the whole while. This says a lot about a man who could have been paying attention to a well paying customer, but instead chose to take time and show a young kid the ropes.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am by no means an expert, but I would be happy to offer my humble opinion as well. I must reiterate, buying quality resource books will save you in the long run. I also must argue that these resource books allow us to appreciate these beautiful samples of machinery and history to a much fuller extent. As a kid, I was told by dealer David Rachwal to buy Lugers at Random, and read it cover to cover and then do it again before buying. Dave was right, but by the time I was ready to buy my first luger, I knew I wanted to focus on WWII era mauser produced lugers (still broad in some peoples’ books), and I may become more specific later on. I do focus on examples with veteran provenance and capture papers.

Anyways, WWI era lugers are still fantastic luger examples and generally (and this is a big GENERALLY), cheaper than their nazi produced siblings. In the few years I have collected, I have noticed middle of the road grade and lesser examples have somewhat stagnant price ranges. However, as stated above, the high collector quality and beautiful condition examples seem to still bring very strong and rising prices. I suppose this is the nature of the beast, if you invest in a high quality firearm now, it likely will only continue to increase in value in the future.

Again, I am by no means an expert at all, however the good news is, there are plenty of well read and well experienced collectors here on the site with endless amounts of great and useful information. Do yourself a favor and check out handgunsoftheworld.com, he is who I have dealt with in the past, and actually the man who got me hooked on lugers. When I was a 13 year old kid, he took time out of a busy OGCA show to show me some beautiful examples he had at the show, allowing me to handle them, and teaching me the whole while. This says a lot about a man who could have been paying attention to a well paying customer, but instead chose to take time and show a young kid the ropes.

Welcome to the forum!
David is a great guy

·
Gld Bullet Member 2012
579 Posts
You won't find a nice all-matching WWII collectible for $1K. But for $3K, you can get almost anything you want - from a well worn warhorse to a very nice, top condition collectible, maybe even with a matching magazine. Of course that's doesn't include the rarer/more expensive ones like Navy, K date or Krieghoff.

·
2,501 Posts
The Lugers that we collect are not the firearms that are selling briskly right now in US gun stores.

I help periodically in a nearby shop, and their sales have been phenomenal for polymer frame handguns and AR-15 rifles.

A number of unusual and some collectible firearms have started showing up at stores, often brought in by someone that wants a modern handgun, rifle or shotgun for home defense, and found the "old gun" in the house, or received it years ago from a relative - perhaps as an inheritance.

So, some interesting collectible firearms are showing up in stores as a result. These could be priced as collectibles (if the store has someone to do the research and learn true value) or they could be selling at cost plus profit - and some of those can be genuine bargains. In the shop I help, they took a Walther PPK in trade, and I checked it and found it was supplied in a German military navy contract.

I've also been asked to do appraisals for customers a number of times.

I don't think collector to collector prices have changed that much in the past year. They are up, but not significantly. Price increases mainly relate to demand and supply. Many collectors are upgrading items in their collections, and some of the lower grade collectibles become available as a result, but the demand seems steady, rather than expanding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts