Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
14,262 Posts
except if it sells, they owe money or have to go down the process of not having to pay for it...

I have never seen a pyf and this seller sure wasn't showing that, at least I missed it in the 32 photos.

Its not worth 10k - maybe $2500 - maybe

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
This is one reason that new collectors should consider auction house like RIAC.. I don't gain anything from their sales, just my feelings though - say, you have budget but you don't know the target item well, your target is actually a relatively common item (at least, from RIAC viewing angle, due to they do handle many many C&R items). In this case, you just aim at their estimate range, you probably will not find "steal buy", but you will not lose this big either.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
The rule of thumb in auction is "don't compete with people with high budget". When someone advertises something as very rare, use RIAC catalogs to verify the statement, how many in similar condition were listed for sale in the past 3 - 5 years? What was the price, etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes much can be said for the duality of either incompetent people throwing money around without knowing better, or malicious people trying to influence market prices. No way to truly know

·
Administrator
14,262 Posts
well, I set an amount I am willing to spend, add in the percentage for fees and shipping so I have a good idea.
In real life, its easy to get carried away, I find its not as easy for me to get carried away on-line - unless of course it is a 'Live' auction, then I have to remember not to be stupid :D

Reactions: Jason S L

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Hilarious.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Reactions: nbart86

·
Registered
25 Posts
OK, now I am confused. What about this gem ...
Starting bid of $1400????????
While not as bad as a normal byf luger for $10k, I wouldn't be surprised for no bids to be placed on that mauser

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
So I'm not missing something? Good, thought I was going wacky there for a minute.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
I resemble that remark!!!

·
Moderator - Diamond Bullet Member
German Navy 1848 -1918
2,728 Posts
Reactions: nbart86

·
Registered
222 Posts
A $1,400 asking price for a $250 pistol where I come from is referred to as a "go to hell" price.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Honestly I'd buy that pistol yesterday for $250, but yes, hopefully the seller isn't too surprised when they have to re-list 4-5 times

21 - 39 of 39 Posts