Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does this "HZaGW" mark signify?This forum has to be one of the most correct,and informing of any I visit.Have learned quite a bit more on firearms I've owned and researched for years.Thanks

·
Registered
541 Posts
HZa stands for Heereszeugamt, or "Army Supply Inspector." GW is the abbreviation for HZa Gustrow, one of the HZa's. What is it that has this marking and can we get a picture? Ryan

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ryan, the firearm that this is stamped on,is not one that is covered by this forum.But you are the first to identify it.Again,just reading these postings,has been more informative than any found else where.Here are a couple photos of the firearm it is stamped on.Any chance what the stock washer P.H.250 stands for?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Interesting Steyr K98. The P.H. marking is post war by either French or Polish (both used that type modified stock) Let me know if you are interested in selling or trading the rifle as I collect anything with HZa markings. What is the eagle marking on the stock disk that is partially obliterated by the "2" ? There is likely some other depot repairs done to the rifle. Ryan

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Believe the sling bar to be a post war French addition.Collect Polish 98k rifles,and the sling bar is what caught my eye.Being it was an all matching 660,I purchased it(my first German 98k).The sling bar is cruder than those used on Polish rifles. But for $600,it followed me home.You have good eyes,had never noticed the waffenamt under the 2 before.The reverse side of the disc is clearly marked WaA63. The disc size on this rifle is the same size as on Polish rifles,but smaller than on all other German 98ks I own. A similar marked disc is shown in Backbone of the Wehrmacht(revised edition) page 306.Under " More markings found on SS K98ks" The barrel has WaA73 instead of the Steyr WaA623 on the rest of the rifle.All wood is internally marked with receiver serial number.The early type front sight ramp is WaA77(Radom).Was this an overhauled rifle then?The other reason for buying this rifle,was the use of Polish parts,to build these rifles.Interesting to think it might have gone back to Poland after the war.Will save this thread and contact you first if I sell or trade.The waffenamt just above the HZaGW on the butt plate is GW3.

·
Administrator
13,450 Posts
The original poster of this thread has not visited in over a year. This thread is from 2008, perhaps starting your own thread and refer back to this one with a link?

·
Registered
Ww1 and WW2
13 Posts
The original poster of this thread has not visited in over a year. This thread is from 2008, perhaps starting your own thread and refer back to this one with a link?
I have a thread on gunboards

I was hoping there was a chance this person found an answer

·
Administrator
13,450 Posts
People on this forum don’t usually visit main Gunboards

1 - 10 of 10 Posts