Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Given the crown proofs and the fact that it's written "CAL5.4" and not "5.4CAL" (ie Calibre 5.4) leads me to believe it's Belgian, but that's where my input stops. Sorry.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Hi George,
It's a Belgian Velodog revolver. They were made for bicyclists to carry in their pockets to shoot dogs that were chasing them. There a bunch of different styles floating around.All basicly the same thing. They sell for around $100-$150 give or take.

Ron

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ron:

That's what I thought also. However the Velo-Dog were all hammerless as per the books and research I have done. This baby has a hammer that I think has a 90lb pull! It's wicked to pull back the hammer on this little revolver. I can't find anything on 5.4 cal.

Regards,

George

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,704 Posts
George,
Ron is right!! It is a Belgian Pattern velo-dog revolver manufactured by LAM (L. Ancion-Marx of Liege). It fires a .22cal velo-dog center fire cartridge, which is actually a little weaker than a .22 cal Long Rifle, that has a FMJ bullet. This ammo is actually still available from Foocchi.

P.S. I'm hot on the trail of a box of 9mm Steyr for you. A friend THINKS he has one. If so I will pick it up and e-mail you.

Dave

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear Dave & Ron:

Thanks so much for your information as I truly appreciate it. The LAM I see is L. Ancion-Marx and I did a search on the internet and you Dave were right on the mark. However I could not find this same revolver pictured anywhere.

This revolver is marked Cal 5.4 and I looked at the Fiocchi site and they show a round item #575VD 5.75 Velo Dog. I am not that good with metric but I believe that cal 5.4 is not the same as cal 5.75?

This revolver came into a local gun shop and they asked if I wanted to purchase it as well as tell them what it is. Does anyone know what this little revolver is worth considering it has no finish left and lacks a serial number?

Thanks so much for all your help guys.

Regards,

George

PS Dave that Fiocchi 9mm Steyr would be much appreciated.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,704 Posts
George,
I found the revolver in Anton Zhuk's illustrated Encyclopedia of Handguns. I'm almost positive that the .22 velo-dog is for that revolver, considerig that I never heard of that caliber. I sent a note to Lou Behling asking if he knows about a 5.4 ca. I hope I am not giving you too low a price, but, I wouldn't go more than $75. in that condition. I just bought a mint one for $125. three weeks ago. Numerich was selling the Fiocchi .22 velo-dog for about $10. a box around 6 months ago.

Dave

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dear Dave:

Thanks so much for your help I truly appreciate it. I will buy the first round if we every meet at a Gun Show. Regarding Gun Shows, do you attend the Albany, NY, Syracuse, NY, West Springfield, MA shows? Perhaps we could meet up at one of these shows?

Regards,

George

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dear Dave:

Sounds like a good plan. I look forward to meeting you at the Big E later this year.

This darn little revolver is driving me nuts cause I can't nail it down.

Since I reside in New York and New York does will not allow Curio & Relics, would this little LAM be classified in other states as a Curio & Relic or Antique since there is no serial number and I have no idea what cal 5.4 is?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Regards,

George

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,704 Posts
George,
I sent you a picture to your e-mail of an old velo-dog box by Winchester noting the size to be 5.5mm. According to Lou Behling, that is the bore diameter! not the land diameter which is closer to 5.75mm. The picture is in Zhuk's book...that should nail down the revolver for you!!

Dave

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I truly appreciate help on this revolver. Yet, after everything is said and done, I don't know if this is this a center fire or rim fire cartridge?

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Regards,

George

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.