Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first timer, maybe someone can tell the journey this gun took? On the toggle it has a 42, on the top of the chamber 1940. No grip safety, it does have a stock lug, 9-mm caliber, walnut grip, near the thumb safety it says GESICHERT. Ser. #2941 on the side of the frame it stamped with an eagle and under that 655. The lower rear of the barrel says 2941 and under that 8,81 under that PL and under thatPD on the frame in front of the trigger it says 2941 and under that M. If you need to know more to help me please ask. My Father got the gun before, during or after the battle of the bulge. He passed away in Jan. and my Mother gave it to me. It has great sentimental value to me and I want to learn as much as I can about this gun. Where was it made, what date in 1940 and if possible who was it given to. Probably all a shot in the dark but it can't hurt to try. Thanks ahead of time for taking the time to read this. Sorry so long
Rich from Pittsburgh PA
P.S This is a great site, who ever put it together, job well done!!!

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,118 Posts
Welcome to the board...... Your Luger was made by Mauser in Obendorf, Germany in 1940. The 42 on top was one of the codes used by Mauser during WWII. They produced about 135,700 Lugers that year and the serial number range is approximately 7700z thru 7000n. Yours would have been near the end of the production year. Gesichert means Safe. The 655 stamp is the Germany Army acceptance stamp during that period.

The above info came from a book THIRD REICH LUGERS by Jan Still who started this site. I would recommend it highly and it would be a very nice addition to the great keepsake you have from your Father.

If you can post some pictures I'm sure it would help. Can you tell me about the magazine that is in it???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Taudelt, Thank-You for responding and the information you have passed on. The magazine has a wood base with the number 4396. Where can I find the serial #? I thought it was 2941.Enjoy the blue sky
Rich Cass

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,118 Posts
Rich....... The original matching mags for your Luger would have been 122 coded extruded blue body mags with alum bottoms with the serial number of the gun on them. The second mag would have had a "+" on it. The wood bottom mag you have suggests a WWI issue but a picture sure would help. Finding original matching mags is something about needles and haystacks......... dave

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,118 Posts
Rich....... The original matching mags for your Luger would have been 122 coded extruded blue body mags with alum bottoms with the serial number of the gun on them. The second mag would have had a "+" on it. The wood bottom mag you have suggests a WWI issue but a picture sure would help. Finding original matching mags is something about needles and haystacks......... dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.