Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a post in another forum about the so-called VOPO-08 Lugers rebuilt by the DDR in the early 50s at the Ernst Thaelmann facility (formerly Haenel) in Suhl. Is there a specific forum here in this group where these pistols are discussed? Most of the forums appear to be up to 1945 at the latest.

Thanks,

Noah

·
Administrator
15,084 Posts
That is true Noah, many people do not think of them as collectable. I believe they eventually will be.

There is a book on DDR pistols, by Marshall I believe, I have the book at home. I have not been posting much recently, hoped some of these lurkers would be kind enough to answer you.

I will try and look up the info tonight and at least give you some basic information.

So, to answer the basic question, NO there is not a specific forum here for them, I am guessing you read through posts, did some searches and found little on them here. They have not been discussed much, although I believe that the book has been discussed.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Noah,
If you look in the general discussion area under the topic Rare Variation you will see where I posted a question about these guns. Take a look at the responses there. I also gave the name of the author the book that Ed mentioned. There appears not to be to much information about these. Hope this helps you out.

Sid.

·
Registered
14,166 Posts
Hello Noah,

Maybe this 1950's era should be considered the 2nd. rework era...similar to the Weimar period in which reworked lugers initially were provided until some new production started back up after WWI.

The 1950's-70's might be a similar period. Initially only reworked VOPO lugers surfaced.

Just recently at the Tulsa, OK gun show I was able to admire Mr. John Eckert's luger display. Got a chance to see the "N1034" VOPO luger pistol he has that he postulates was made by the VOPO folks as a "new" luger production run...around 100 or so as a feasibility production run. Mr. Eckert theorizes these 100 may have been made by past HK luger factory staff, possibly on old HK machinery. Fit and finsh of this N1034 was very crude and rough, but the hole in the toggle knobs did have the typical deep bevel as the HK lugers do...

Then we have the 1970's era of new lugers Mauser made. These should be considered newly manufactured lugers whose values since the 1970's have steadily been increasing as well (especially the limited-issued, commemorative series).

Maybe we can have Jan Still consider adding a Post WWI luger section upon his return from his travels in April...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gentlemen:

I appreciate very much the responses. Thank you!

I do have a copy of Dieter Marschall's book and found the couple paragraphs on the VoPo Lugers to be helpful.

Sid: I'll look for the post under Rare Variations, thanks!

Wiemar: I agree that they will become collectable in their own right as time goes on; not that many were made.

Thanks again!

Rick

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
Hi Noah,

I didn't want to answer here, because I already defended VoPo's on 'the other forum'. But rest assured that these guns will find their way into the collector's interest zone.

One of my lugers is a VoPo, with traces of World War 1 use (imperial eagles), World war 2 use, DWM, Mauser parts. East-German refinish, 1989 West-German proofing. This gun alone sums up about a century of German history and that makes it interesting. Proof mark heaven.

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
Hi Noah,

I didn't want to answer here, because I already defended VoPo's on 'the other forum'. But rest assured that these guns will find their way into the collector's interest zone.

One of my lugers is a VoPo, with traces of World War 1 use (imperial eagles), World war 2 use, DWM, Mauser parts. East-German refinish, 1989 West-German proofing. This gun alone sums up about a century of German history and that makes it interesting. Proof mark heaven.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.