Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for the experts. I have found a guy with several Lugers and need a little advive from the experts as this will be my first Luger. ALL MILITARY All with at least one matching wood mag!!!
1915/1920 Weimer #132
1917 with unit marking of a Jaegar unit (one i am leaning towards)
1920/1920 Commercial
OR A Navy with a botched reblue job for $1325
I thank all are DWM but what do you thank?
Another place I found has a one pre 1917 (cant rember date) with a serial number of 16 just 16 markined on barrel and everywhere else too
It does not have matching mag.
WHAT DOES ANYONE THANK????????HELP??????

·
Administrator
15,090 Posts
quote:
1915/1920 Weimer #132
1917 with unit marking of a Jaegar unit (one i am leaning towards)
1920/1920 Commercial
OR A Navy with a botched reblue job for $1325
Not an expert, but here is my opinion; I would lean towards the 1920/1920, but that is because that is the era I am interested in right now, 2nd choice would be the 1917 with unit marking, all things considered, i.e. bluing, in good shape, etc.

Even reblued navies are worth some money, but an obvious reblue turns me away (not completly mind you, but turns me away over a non-reblue).

Ed

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,110 Posts
You do not mention any other prices than the re-blued Navy...I would go with the unit marked all else being even. Jerry Burney

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Fogman,

In order to extract full information value from this Forum, you ought to provide more information.

Note -all- the marks on -all- the Lugers, particularly the marks on the right receiver and under the barrel--also on the left receiver, if they exist. Serial numbers of all the guns, including script letter suffixes. Take the guns apart and note if the inside of the frames are white metal are blued, same for the S-shaped link hanging down from the rear toggle link. While you are there, make sure all the internal serial numbers match.

Note what caliber all the Lugers are--9mm or .30 Luger, also barrel lengths.

Write down the actual unit mark, be specific about where the periods are, note whether the letters are Roman or Script, and the relative sizes of the numbers.

Note how much of the original finish is left, any rust or pitting, and how much yellow color is left on the small "strawed" parts. And note how much money the owner is asking for these guns.

From your simple listing the most interesting guns on the list are the unit marked piece, the 1920/1920, and the Navy; followed by the 1915/1920 and the 1916; ending up with the 1920.

Be very sceptical about the matching mags. If you cannot find an experienced collector who can help you with the finer points of Luger magazines, actually examine them with you or for you, consider the liklihood that they are not original. Don't reject them out of hand, but don't get talked into paying a huge premium on their account.

The Navy is a special case. Navy Lugers are being actively counterfeited, so you need to know some specific information. To start with, is there a chamber date? a grip safety? is the thumb safety marked in the upper or lower position? What are the barrel and receiver marks? If you want to follow up on this gun there is much more to know. Does the magazine base for the Navy have concentric rings, and what is marked on the bottom?

Are you allowed to photograph the details of these guns?

It looks like you are being offered a pretty good opportunity, requesting the help as you have done and providing additional information to focus the help are wise moves.

--Dwight

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Here is a brief summary of the history of the 11th Jager Bataillon that I typed some time ago for my own use. The information is from the Histories of 251 Divisions of the German Army that participated in the War (1914-1918). I have a Luger to the same unit. It is a very interesting unit that battled in Belgium, Eastern Front and Italy.
Note: there are numerous mispellings and mistakes as I did the typing.
Jan

11th Jager Bataillon 22.D., 200.D.(CARPATHIAN CORPS) IX?

11 ARMY CORPS

1914 BELGIUM, 3RD ARMY, LIEGE, NAMAR

RUSSIA OCT 1914-MAY 15 1915 VIOLENT ATTACKS ALONG THE BZURA AND THE RAWKA

1915 JULY 11TH ARMY (MACKENSEN ARMY) OFFENSIVE ARRIVED ON THE STYR IN OCT., THEN FORMED A PART OF THE 4TH AUSTRIAN ARMY

1916 VILAU (MAY) GALICA

1916 JULY FORMED PART OF THE 200 D.

CARPATHIAN MTNS, CARPATHIAN CORPS COUNTEROFFENSIVE AGAINST RUSSIANS, SEPT. MT. TOMNATIK

1917 BUKOVINA S. OF MT. PNEVIE N. OF MT. TOMNATIK OFFENSIVE SERETH

1917 SEPT TO ITALY, OCT. 24 ISONZO OFFENSIVE

10 24-27 JULISCHEN ALPEN, 10-24 JEZA

10-27 MONTE SAN GIOVANNI, MONTE SPIGH, & CASTEL DELMONTE, AZZIDA

10 28-11 UDINE

11 4-11 TAGLIAMENTO PAIVE

11 12 1917 TO 1-22 1918 PAIVE, VENEZIANISCHEN ALPEN

12 13-31 MONTE VALDEROA MONTE FONTANA SECCA, MT TOMBA

BEST DIVISIONS INTHE GERMAN ARMY

1918 FRANCE HEAVY LOSSES (ITALY?) TRAINED

MONTDIDER APRIL 8TH MOREUIL

MARNE JULY 15 ATTACKED WEST OFDORMANS CROSSED THE MARNE AT SAILLY, CHAPELLE MONTHOD , HEAVY LOSSES, SERGY MEUNIERE WOOD

1918 AUGUST 22-23 SOUAIN, ST ETIENNE ARNES LOST HEAVILY

1918 WASSIGNY NEAR OISY OCT 22 -NOV 11

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.