Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Huggiegear, Lloyd in LV, adler , or anyone else interested in, or collects Axis pistols.

Still's books for Lugers. Buxton's books for P.38s. Which book(s) do you grab first for I.D.ing Axis pistols (besides Jan's)?
I'm looking for the best, and most concise reference book(s).

Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Ron, I would suggest Jan Still's "Volume 2: Axis Pistols (1986)(3rd printing 1989)" It is broader in coverage than 3rd Reich Lugers and still contains Jan's excellent research. I did a book review on it a while back that is posted on this site.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Life is cruel, as there is no one silver bullet for acquiring, there is no one silver bullet for knowledge. If I were to seek detailed knowledge of Beretta's I would go to Pietro Beretta Le Automatiche, if for Kreighoff's I would go to Randall Gibson's book, if for Star's and Astra's I would seek out Len Antaris's books, for P.38's I would go to Warren Buxton's books. If one has limited time and/or money , then I agree that Jan Still's books would be my first choice primarily because he has encompassed a great deal of items/area in one publication but also is the latest publication on this subject. As we all know or should know, facts surface, change , or otherwise are altered and that changes what we were accepting at time of publication that we now know to be incorrect so knowledge is also fluid in time. For an example, I ever rarely seek out Harry Jones's book on Lugers today , although there are bits of information here and there which might shed light on some of today's questions , it is simply too outdated to be seriously considered today as the only publication one would possess if interested in Lugers. Whittington's books are of value but are some what dated. His first book was thee Nazi Pistol Bible for many years and still does not have any known errors but simply at time of publication much of what we assume today was not know or even discovered back in 1969. Life is full of choices !!!

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should have been a bit more specific. Although, interested in all the variations of Axis pistols. I have a penchant for 1914/34 Mausers and HSc's. I have Whittingtons volumes, and complete set of Jan's great books. Which should I look for as far as the Mausers are concerned? Sorry to be so vague, have'nt had my 15th cup of coffee yet.

Thanks for the input, Ron

·
Registered
861 Posts
Ron,
The first book that comes to mind is Pender's "Mauser Pocket Pistols 1910-1946". It has been out of print for some time. You can still come across one but they aren't cheap. The data is a little dated but it is about the only book dedicated to those pistols.
Dean

·
Registered
841 Posts
Ron,

A few years ago I found the Pender book and have found it useful as a data source on these Mauser Pistols. As Dean has said, it is somewhat dated but I think still very useful. I have a model 1910/14 that I found listed with regard to serial numbers observed on page #60 (73411) that I thought was kind of interesting. The book is not cheap but I refer to it all the time with respect to these Mauser pocket pistols. It also has a section on vest pocket pistols the Mauser WTP's that I find useful-have one of those a Model 1 in my collection.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ron:
Until you're fortunate enough to find a copy of Pender's Mauser Pocket Pistols, why not have a fellow collector make photocopies of the sections you're interested in? Should be simple enough...and will certainly test friendships and loyalties!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Ron,

As adler suggested, I would be happy to make you copies of sections you are interested in and mail them to you. No problem, let me know and I will get it done right away. Lloyd in Vegas loving our fine 68 degree winter weather deep blue skies and light breeze out of the south.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Lloyd,
You are magnificent! I spoke from experience in that I also do not have a copy of the book, but a friend in Germany sent me good photocopies of specific sections which I laminated for durability!
Thanks for your great gesture!

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lloyd,
I appreciate it, but don't want to impose. I will find an affordable copy someplace. I found one for $190, but it had been sold.

I truly do appreciate the gesture, however.

Thanks, Ron

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.