Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As is generally my interest in military firearms, I find the veterans from the Great War that continued on for future conflicts to be the most interesting. To answer my own question, I find the imperial Lugers with Weimar use to be the most interesting. What most speaks to you and why?

·
Registered
96 Posts
That is rather tuff for me to identify. I have 15 of the crazy things including two shooter pieces. The one I shoot the most must be a Russian Capture dated 1938 with "xx" out original numbers and restamped with all matching numbers. The bore of the barrel is pristine, the trigger breaks at slightly less than 3 pounds and it hits to point of aim at 20 to 25 yds. Its most likely been refinished and has about 98 to 99% of this finish remaining. There are no import stamps on it anywhere. It functions very reliably with my slightly warm reloads. The only unusual stamp on the luger is a "9mm P" on the underside of the barrel. This is the least expensive piece in my luger accumulation but could be very close to my favorite.

·
Administrator
14,061 Posts
I would immediately say Weimar era, especially Simson, although the early items interest me. At the moment I have only the one 1900, and a 1902 carbine. But for Simson', I have 3 1925's, a 1926 and an undated mid-range, and there are 2 unit markings among them, and sn 701, which is not dated (means something to me).

·
Registered
96 Posts
DarkLord ---- I sure like your pieces in the photo above. I sure like the looks of the other two pieces, especially the M1 Carbine. That stock is beautiful. Is it original ?? Yes the Artillery LP08's are my choice pieces (I have two), both are dated 1917. I have an original 1915 dated Artillery holster, shoulder strap, wooden shoulder stock with a loading assist tool and cleaning rod and an original snail drum mag. (not dated) that I've shown as a complete WWI set. For the other LP08 I have a repro. holster, strap and shoulder stock with repro. loading tool and cleaning rod. These pieces are a lot of fun to take out and burn a little powder using my own reloads to avoid any over pressure on these 104 year old pieces.
I have a 1920's Naval Type Commercial Luger with the two position rear toggle sight and a Naval Stock with a repro. black Naval type holster and shoulder strap. The Luger has been very professionally refinished so does not have any collector value but is an excellent shooting piece with a perfect bore. I believe I prefer shooting this Naval type to the LP 08 lugers for just the way it feels and shoots. At about 150 yds. with the rear sight set at the 200 meter setting, a 50 pound shot up propane bottle goes "klang" almost every shot. If you ever have a chance to shoot a Naval Luger don't pass it up, you'll love it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
DarkLord ---- I sure like your pieces in the photo above. I sure like the looks of the other two pieces, especially the M1 Carbine. That stock is beautiful. Is it original ?? Yes the Artillery LP08's are my choice pieces (I have two), both are dated 1917. I have an original 1915 dated Artillery holster, shoulder strap, wooden shoulder stock with a loading assist tool and cleaning rod and an original snail drum mag. (not dated) that I've shown as a complete WWI set. For the other LP08 I have a repro. holster, strap and shoulder stock with repro. loading tool and cleaning rod. These pieces are a lot of fun to take out and burn a little powder using my own reloads to avoid any over pressure on these 104 year old pieces.
I have a 1920's Naval Type Commercial Luger with the two position rear toggle sight and a Naval Stock with a repro. black Naval type holster and shoulder strap. The Luger has been very professionally refinished so does not have any collector value but is an excellent shooting piece with a perfect bore. I believe I prefer shooting this Naval type to the LP 08 lugers for just the way it feels and shoots. At about 150 yds. with the rear sight set at the 200 meter setting, a 50 pound shot up propane bottle goes "klang" almost every shot. If you ever have a chance to shoot a Naval Luger don't pass it up, you'll love it.
I’ve only had p08 wwi and WWll era Lugers , what is the difference on the Naval Lugers and why did they make them different for them?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts