Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
johnny ---- The Naval Lugers had (have) a 6" barrel and a two position (100 meter & 200 meter) rear sight on the rear toggle link. As I've read somewhere German Navy personnel sometimes went ashore as landing parties and required personel weapons that were capable of longer range than a standard hand gun could provide. The Navy Luger was adopted in 1904, about 4 years prior to the German army adopting the P.08 (4" barreled) pistol. I've also read where Navy personnel might on occasion shoot from one ship to another at ranges of a few hundred yds. I wonder about the truth of that account. As I mentioned above if anyone has a chance to shoot a Naval type Luger, you'll be very impressed by them. Mine is not a collector's piece having been beautifully refinished so I shoot it on a regular basis with my own reloads as weather permits.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've given a lot of thought to this question, my favorite Luger is the P04 (Navy model) of course, but which variation? The 1908 variation, the last made before war broke out in 1914, blends the perfected design with the highest standard of pre war fit and finish. My example is a particularly beautiful gun from the personal collection of the late dealer and collector, Doug Smith. In case you're wondering, those spectacular grips are original and numbered to the gun!
Norm
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory
Trigger Air gun Gun accessory Gun barrel Bullet

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I've given a lot of thought to this question, my favorite Luger is the P04 (Navy model) of course, but which variation? The 1908 variation, the last made before war broke out in 1914, blends the perfected design with the highest standard of pre war fit and finish. My example is a particularly beautiful gun from the personal collection of the late dealer and collector, Doug Smith. In case you're wondering, those spectacular grips are original and numbered to the gun!
Norm
View attachment 657022 View attachment 657023
Thats a beautiful example, I can certainly see why this variation is your favorite. Thank you for sharing

·
Registered
96 Posts
Norman ---- That is a BEAUTIFUL piece.and I also can see why that is your favorite. My 1920 Navy Type appears close to that but mine has been refinished and is considered a non collector piece. I do fire mine and I believe it is the most plesent shooting luger I have. As I've mentioned previously its accuracy with my hand loads out to 100 and 150 yds. really amazes me. Again you have beautiful piece.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Norman I have to agree with you. LOVE the 08 variation Navy, and earlier Navies are my favorites. The 1914 Navy's are nice but the short frame lacks the elegance the earlier Navies have, my 08 Navy is real nice but not quite up to the level yours is, almost.
Jim

·
Registered
32 Posts
Norm
View attachment 657022 View attachment 657023
That’s a wonderful Luger, history, condition. What $$ should I expect to pay for a honest 90% Naval ?? And where to find one?

·
Administrator
14,062 Posts
That’s a wonderful Luger, history, condition. What $$ should I expect to pay for a honest 90% Naval ?? And where to find one?
A lot - depends on the model (Norm, I realize that might not be correct) - 1904 - $50,000-$100,000
Few 1904's made - a 1908 and then later models, much cheaper, but navies are still expensive :)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts