Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are Wittington's "Pistols and Holsters 1934-1945 vol.1-3" any good?

I am thinking about ordering them, but the price will be a bit high with postage to Norway...

I was wondering if there is much information in theese three books not found in "Still vol.1-5"??? (I already have Still's books..)

Thanks.

· Registered
17 Posts
There is good info in them and they are "fine", but I like Benders book better, but he doesn't have as much police, weimar or WW1 compared to WW2 holsters. I have just one of Whittingtons books, so others might find them more useful than I did?

· Registered
33 Posts
In my opinion, Whittington's Volume III is the most thorough reference on GERMAN WWII holsters (although Still's books seem to be better references on the pistols themselves). For some time I unsuccessfully sought information (from Benders, this forum, and several other sources) on a holster I had obtained for a Norwegian (Kongsberg) M1914 that differed in several respects from other more common types. I finally found it when I got Whittington's Volume III. (I learned that my unmarked holster is a Third Variation, made during German occupation - an ideal complement for my M1914 that was also made during that occupation in 1941.) If you want a copy, however, I would suggest you act soon. They are getting quite scarce since the book is now out of print, but I finally found a small supply at Simpson Ltd. - pricey ($65US) but worth it, in my opinion. Hope this info is helpful.

· Registered
841 Posts
I agree with Webleyman about volume III from Whittington. It is a very good source for information on German/Axis Holsters of WWII. I would go further and suggest that volume II which deals strictly with Axis pistols is also very valuable. I especially like the collectibility tables at the back of Whittington Volume II--maybe somehat outdated but it gives you a sense of scarcity (production estimates) with respect to many different Axis pistols. When you combine these two Whittington volumes with the excellent Jan Still Axis Pistols publication combined with this forum you are darn well armed to seek and find these pistols/holsters we all love! I would further say that having these books and this forum have probably saved me countless mistakes or oversights (translation many dollars) in finding and confirming the authenticity of my Axis pistol pruchases. My advice to anyone entering this collecting arena is BUY the books first and get armed with knowledge and data necessary to buy right and correct the first time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.