Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my 38H out of the safe. The cracked right grip disintigrated. I know originals are like finding frog's teeth. Can anyone tell me where the best quality repros can be found? Numrich has them, but I have'nt had the best experience with their other repro grips. Kind of cheesey.

Thanks,Ron

·
Registered
569 Posts
Why don't you give Tom Heller a call....? You might get lucky?

Tom Heller
POB 398
St.Charles MO 63302.
1-636-447-3006
[email protected]
tell Tom I referred you!!

I am sure he can tell you who has the best repro's if he does not have any originals!

Orv

Orvel Law Reichert
P O Box 67
Vader WA 98593
360 245 3492 tel
360 245 3702 fax
360 520 6520 cel
[email protected]

Quote.....If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which a procedure can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way, unprepared for, will promptly develop.---Murphy

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Ron,

I found a pair of 38H grips once that were all glued together for $25.00 and liked it! Don't know about the repros but anything original is hard to find. Did you try to repair the old ones?

Mark

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Orv, Toms checking to see if he may have an original. He does have repros. Thanks, Ron

Mark, I am going to repair then, but what ever they made them out of is degrading. There was one small hairline crack at the screw hole, as usual on 38Hs. When I took it out of the safe , just the finger pressure to pick it up caused the grip to split completely , in three different directions. The material looks almost crumbly at the brakes.If I'm successful at the repair. I'll just put the originals away and use repros on it.
Ron

Ron

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Yeah,

That old bakelite stuff on grips is crap. I think Epoxy works well to glue it back?

With your talent, there may be a way to make a mold out of soft clay from an original set and glue the rotten set together? Perhaps some ground up black plastic to fill in the breaks on the bakelite?

Mark

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark, I think about the only way to do it,and make it look right is to use Brownells bedding gel. It works great. If you do it right. I once made a pair of Colt 1911 grips out of bedding compound and metal filings. They felt great and worked like a charm, but yoogly!(that's about 10% to 20% beyond ugly.)
Ron

·
Registered
569 Posts
I posed your question to James Cate: he said:

Actually Super Glue does better than anything. Tell Ron the late grips like his lacked a proper amount of phenol and added material such as ultra small bits of cellulose, thread and wood fiber to help strengthen them. He can repair the orginal and/or put repro grips on the gun for shooting. His pistol would be one that utilized the last type of the 5 different variations of grips (and 3 types of grip material).

Orv

Orvel Law Reichert
P O Box 67
Vader WA 98593
360 245 3492 tel
360 245 3702 fax
360 520 6520 cel
[email protected]

Quote.....Whenever you set out to do something, something else must be done first.----Murphy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.