Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a Mauser WTP2 with eagle N proofs? I`d be interested in collecting the seriel numbers of those pistols.Thanks, Doug

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Doug, Good to hear from you. You have mine? I posted it here. Bob, Jon is new and may not of understood Doug's question. The Eagle/N WTP II is a rare bird.

Regards,

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
75052 over here is still C/C/U marked. What is the earliest known Eagle/N proofed one?

The 1000+ WTP2's assembled under French control have no proofs at all.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
WTP II, type 5, Defined by Eagle/N proof, SN range of known examples 75774-76690.

Regards,

Reactions: Vlim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jon, just confirming: your type 3 WTP 2 has an eagle/N proof? Not crown/crown/U?
This is a GI (James R Exxxxx dec.) bring back from WWII with black unmarked holster.
  1. Serial number 69851
  2. Serial number location RS, matches frame, but the not barrel
  3. Right slide marking SN, W.T.P -- 6.35 -- D.R.P. (script) & proof mark Left side marking Mauser-- A.G. Oberndorf aN. (script) Mauser logo

4. Brown plastic, 2 screws, Mauser logo
  5. Proof mark – Eagle N & Mauser logo
  6. Number of slide serrations: 17
  7. Blue, 85% with 75 years of holster wear, bore is nice, magazine is 7 round, unmarked, fitted to the catch, not original.
I will post my fotos as soon as I get them off a google drive.

I found this forum as I was researching this piece & a JMMAN MEFFERT SUHL, CONSTABULARY, a Webley RIC Pattern Solid Frame Revolver, a 6 shot .38 short (or rimmed 9mm) which has the double crown U proof on the frame & the cylinder. Any help on that will be appreciated.

Regards,
jon b

Rule #34 of gunfighting - If you ever see a monkey with a lightsaber, just run away

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Those with eagle stamp must be very late ones. But I am more curious about the grip of this type of small Mauser - does anyone know when did the brown grip panels start? I saw most of those earlier ones having black panels, but late ones, such as this #72440 sold recently on gunbroker, has brown panels. I would believe all those panels being original because not many people playing games on this type... But, when did this panel color change happen?

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
This is the second WTP II with a serial number outside the range of what would appear to be the typical range for the Eagle//N proof. The range I posted would account for less than1000 examples. The 2 outside of this range, that have been reported are around 5000 numbers earlier. There are a large number of reported examples, with the Crown/U proof between these. The only explanation that would account for this is that completed pistols in inventory where not proofed until later in production, after 1940.

Brown grips appear throughout production. There does not appear to be a clear starting point for the brown grips. They are far less common that black grips.

Regards,

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
Not surprising. We've seen HSc's , P38s and also P08s that lingered at the factory long enough to get proofed differently.

It shows that, certainly with commercial production, Mauser did not use a first in, first out routine.

Also on post war Mausers, proof dates can be all over the place. Which was also the reason they opted for the 'coded' proof year eventually in the mid 1970s.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I was surprised about the price that one brought that Alvin referenced. 1825. I know they don't show up often but still its not like they didn't make a good many.

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
They are cheaper in Europe, but I don't think there is an easy way to import them into the US. Also they are considered forbidden or unwanted guns for private use in much of Europe which limits the market to collectors only.

In Europe the WTP1 is actually more difficult to find than the WTP2.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
The $1825 price... Well, I voluntarily helped seller (who he is ... I don't know) a little bit, and pumped his item to $1475.. that was already very high price for such a baby gun.. I even worried "what if it indeed comes"... But quickly it turned out that was not a problem at all - people outbid me quickly :)

C&R gun is not turkey, probably shouldn't be valued by its weight and size,,, but in general, it is still large frame full size handguns being more expensive in the market.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Jon B, your magazine is not original or a correct WTP II magazine.
Vilm, It is surprising to me that the WTP I is more difficult to find in Europe as twice as many WTP Is were made than WTP IIs. I am not too surprised at the recent GB sale as it had brown grips and a nice little holster. I would expect a Eagle/N marked example to sell in that range.

It has taken me some time to accumulate what you see here. This photo was taken before I acquired 2 examples of the WTP I, type 1.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
please post a picture when it's filled up (just saying: can't see too many of those little beauties)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts