Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

WW! 1918 Colt 1911

4K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  MauserFan 
#1 ·
Was digging around in the safe today came across this Colt I have had for the last 15 years.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Wood stain
Font Handwriting Technology Writing Art
Office supplies Bicycle part Close-up Rim Electric blue

See less See more
#3 ·
That is a beautiful gun! I would expect to see more wear on the barrel hood from firing, I would assume this gun has not been fired very much.

#16 ·
The serial number range of Black Army pistols is from about 310000 to 629500. I have no. 415696, a September 1918 Black Army. A little more wear than yours, but still nice. Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, mine was polished out a little, so the dark, oxide look is gone, but the finish as not a fine blue like yours.

Attachments

#18 ·
BTW, rhood, I also have a 1918-dated holster, with tie-down, and proper magazine pouch. I'd have to do more digging than I'm prepared to do, to get photos of them up here, but I have them, somewhere, nonetheless. Yours is an excellent rig, with two magazines and accoutrement, however, items I do not have.

#21 ·
From what I can see, it's serial number 289002. If so, that means it was shipped to the Commanding Officer, Springfield Armory, on May 6, 1918. At least according to Charles Clawson's "big book." And it is not a "Black Army" finish. Colt did not begin that finish until around serial number 312,000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.