Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have in my collection a somewhat unusual Mauser M-1914 in 7.65mm. (Serial # 123520 ) It has C/U & WW1 era Imperial military proofs. What's unusual is that it's unnumbered barrel is E/N proofed, and has the late style, rounded "half moon" type front sight blade. ( As opposed to the earlier style, ramp front sight.) The wear on the bbl matches the weapon's overall condition perfectly, and in no way appears to a recent replacement. Other than the above noted proofs, it exhibits no additional police or military markings. The pistol was purchased directly from a veteran's widow, who knew only that "he took it home from France after WW2". Could this Mauser have been a WW1 Officer's personal sidearm, that was returned to Mauser for a barrel replacement sometime after April 1940 ? Any comments will be deeply appreciated. THANKS. Regards, Dom Pastore Jr.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Dom
Your 1914 Mauser was manufactured during World War I and it left the factory with a matched barrel. A E/N proofed barrel manufactured in about 1940/1941 was added sometime after 1940/1941. The lack of serial number on the new barrel suggests that the barrel was not replaced at the factory. Possible an arsenal might of replaced the barrel without adding a serial number. Its most likley that the pistols owner replaced the barrel.
Jan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.