Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 1939 Luger from a local seller is advertised as having 4 matching magazines. I have never seen one with so many matching magazines which raised red flags for me. Is it likely that there would be so many matching magazines?

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Legitimately, probably not. But a person could, with diligence acquire them.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
10,229 Posts
Go take a look at it. See what you can see.

·
Administrator
13,549 Posts
I have only seen a #3 on police, however a collector I respect very much has seen 4 matching mags

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
Be very skeptical unless you can evaluate them yourself. Otherwise, try posting some good sharp detailed photos of the magazines and pistol.

·
Copper Bullet Member
856 Posts
Just curious... Is it a 39-S/42, 39-42, 39 Banner police or 39 Banner commercial?

·
Registered
6 Posts
A 1939 Luger from a local seller is advertised as having 4 matching magazines. I have never seen one with so many matching magazines which raised red flags for me. Is it likely that there would be so many matching magazines?
I have a 1923 Stoeger artillery Luger. The did not have matching magazines the mags we’re unnumbered or marked Germany. A decade or so later I found a 1936 s/42 with a holster and matching mag. The extra mag was a 1st war wood bottom mag with surprisingly the same number as my Stoeger. While not correct it still was to interesting to pass up. I bid slightly higher than normal to obtain it.

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nothing is too far fetched in Luger fantasy land, here's a 1906 Navy with a "matching number" aluminum based magazine:
I have two different Lugers on gunbroker right now selling as a pair (maybe). Their claim to fame they have the same serial number. Sort of. One a 1906 Brazilian the other a war Time byf. The byf has a prefix in the serial the Brazilian does not however I found it interesting enough to market them that way. Who knows maybe someone else will as well.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have two different Lugers on gunbroker right now selling as a pair (maybe). Their claim to fame they have the same serial number. Sort of. One a 1906 Brazilian the other a war Time byf. The byf has a prefix in the serial the Brazilian does not however I found it interesting enough to market them that way. Who knows maybe someone else will as well.
Two pistols. One matching number. Four matching magazines. Mystery solved!!!

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
1,175 Posts
Looking at the Lockgolden's Gunbroker listing, 41 byf sn1480b could be the latest 41 byf reported. Maybe the last military Luger produced in 1941 before changing to 42 byf.
In the book The Mauser Parabellum, Hallock and Van de Kant's 41 byf range goes to 1121b. Not that it makes the gun more valuable, it is interesting.

·
Administrator
13,549 Posts
Tom, I have found that the simson's with the 'latest' 'a' suffix have sold for more than other serial numbers when I've seen them sell over the years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looking at the Lockgolden's Gunbroker listing, 41 byf sn1480b could be the latest 41 byf reported. Maybe the last military Luger produced in 1941 before changing to 42 byf.
In the book The Mauser Parabellum, Hallock and Van de Kant's 41 byf range goes to 1121b. Not that it makes the gun more valuable, it is interesting.
Interesting. I had not considered that. Your right about value although having watched and made notes for years in auctions I often can not understand why some generate the amounts they do. Not rare not special often more of the identical year and model are listed. Makes me wonder what I am missing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts