Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm looking to buy my first WWII 1911. Most likely a COLT. I've been looking at CMP 1911s on auction. It seems like a lot of those are re-parkerized. But the prices seem good on some of the auctions. My question is, is original finish 1911s worth a lot more than the reworked re-parkerized guns? Just like Luger's, I'm wanting to buy a nice guns that are all original and in very good condition (ideally). I don't know too much about 1911 values. Am I going to see a large price difference in one that is all original compared to re-parkerized? I know the collectibility goes down when a Luger is refinished. Is it as drastic with WWII 1911's? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
If an originally parkerized WWII colt is properly reparked, then probably the price goes down by about 30-40%
If buffed to hell with crappy repark, then it probably loses 60% of its value.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
to answer your question simply, the answer is Yes. If you truly want and all original and nice condition, my suggestion would be to stay away from the CMP guns. from what I hear the ones they are offering is a crap shoot and many have condition issues I even heard of some that the gun rattles because the slides aren't tight. probably well worn. an all original ww2 colt in nice condition can run upwards of 3 to 4k. You need to make sure that the internals are correct. little nuances such as the markings on the barrel for the serial number of the gun etc. I have seen dealers get as high as 4500 for one that has virtually no slide wear and no "idiot scratch" and all correct and then the value drops to one with minimal slide wear and a slight idiot scratch to 3400. so condition is everything. I would think if you just want one all original and relatively nice condition you should be able to find one for 1800 to 2400. I was always amazed at the prices that CMP can get for guns. they rework most but do use original parts but most times are not correct. such as the correct batch numbers etc. but I do know a lot of people love their CMP gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the explanation! I would defiantly rather have a very nice example of a gun then five lower quality examples. I like the collectability, but I also like the investment. That's just the way I do it. I would much rather save up and buy a mint Colt 1911 than I have two or three that were reworked. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I was always amazed at the prices that CMP can get for guns. they rework most but do use original parts but most times are not correct. such as the correct batch numbers etc. but I do know a lot of people love their CMP gun.
The CMP 1911's came from U.S. Army stores in a ready to issue condition. While the CMP does check and rework many of the Garands they sell, the 1911's - to the best of my knowledge - are shipped from CMP in the condition they were received. MOST will have been refurbished by the military at some point and some more than once. During the refurbishment process, no attempt was made to keep all parts from the same gun together. Thus you will find many of them with a slide from one maker and a frame from another. The CMP guns are a crap shoot but they will be genuine GI issue guns.

Original as-issued and untampered with 1911's are out there but, as stated, are expensive. Good luck in your search.

·
Administrator
13,140 Posts
Also, I think ONLY if you had a RGN (random number) and packet two years ago can you bid?
I'd check with cmp1911 (NOT cmp rifles) as they are separate

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi, here's the one I got. I am happy with it for the price. Edward is correct you need a number and the lottery is closed.Mike

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The fact that we won the war plays into the difference between Luger collecting and M1911A1 collecting. The Germans did not get the opportunity to rebuild their guns after the war. We did.

A rebuilt WWII era Colt is still a collectible. While a refinished Luger is a shooter.

Study hard. Buy from a trusted source. Get what you want. But don't be afraid of a rebuild if done well.

Also, don't disregard other makers. My Remington Rand is just a nice, nice gun.

·
Administrator
13,140 Posts
My CMP Remington Rand - I carried one or two along the way

After some oil :)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Martin, Most definitely rebuilt Colts are still collectible. hence why CMP is getting the prices they are. my comments were based in response to the original OP who directly asked "My question is, is original finish 1911s worth a lot more than the reworked re-parkerized guns? Just like Luger's, " To that end my answer was yes. Nothing against the CMP 1911's at all as they can be a very good gun. its just what is it the purchaser is looking for? I felt and he confirmed, I think he was looking for a collectible rather than a shooter. Good observations though regarding why so many refurbs in the US guns verses the Lugers. I have noticed that with any gun, it really depends on what you are looking for. as example. take a Japanese type 26 revolver. They are much more expensive in original condition. the majority were reworked for ww2. I wanted a reworked gun for my ww2 collection. an all matched in good shape type 26 still is collectible and holds value, but a hard core Japanese collector would say, that has been reworked and not worth as much. which is true as an all original type 26 would run 2 to 3 times as much LOL. but I was happy with my purchase becuase I wanted one reworked for ww2. Hence why my answer was tailored the way it was for the OP. I felt he was looking all original and correct collectible and then was questioning if the CMP guns fit that bill. Great discussion by the way. I am not sure how many people actually know the nuances of the CMP program and what they actually do.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
to answer your question simply, the answer is Yes. If you truly want and all original and nice condition, my suggestion would be to stay away from the CMP guns. from what I hear the ones they are offering is a crap shoot and many have condition issues I even heard of some that the gun rattles because the slides aren't tight. probably well worn. an all original ww2 colt in nice condition can run upwards of 3 to 4k. You need to make sure that the internals are correct. little nuances such as the markings on the barrel for the serial number of the gun etc. I have seen dealers get as high as 4500 for one that has virtually no slide wear and no "idiot scratch" and all correct and then the value drops to one with minimal slide wear and a slight idiot scratch to 3400. so condition is everything. I would think if you just want one all original and relatively nice condition you should be able to find one for 1800 to 2400. I was always amazed at the prices that CMP can get for guns. they rework most but do use original parts but most times are not correct. such as the correct batch numbers etc. but I do know a lot of people love their CMP gun.
Sam, I don't think the "idiot scratch" would take away any value. If the 1911 0r 1911AI is in excellent condition,and all correct, collectors would pay the price.
My thoughts only,
Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
M1911s and A1s are a minefield and expensive. Submit opinions from a knowing collector or 1911forum USGI before buying and study the forum and Clawson, if available, as much as possible. Martins appears to be a type II Rem. Rand which will bring a pretty nice premium.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
M1911s and A1s are a minefield and expensive. Submit opinions from a knowing collector or 1911forum USGI before buying and study the forum and Clawson, if available, as much as possible. Martins appears to be a type II Rem. Rand which will bring a pretty nice premium.
If I buy a 3K and up 1911 it will have to be from a reputable dealer. No way I would buy at a gun show. I will still be studying the WWII 1911's for sure. I did the same before I bought other WWII firearms. Thanks so much fro all of the help! ))

1 - 13 of 13 Posts